The Assistant Controller position is responsible for all areas relating to financial reporting. This position will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. The Assistant Controller supervises staff and is responsible for managing the team to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, government contract reporting, year end audit preparation and the support of budget and forecast activities. The Assistant Controller will have contact with senior-level management.
location: Washington, District Of Columbia
job type: Permanent
salary: $95,000 - 105,000 per year
work hours: 9 to 5
education: Bachelor's degree
experience: 4 Years
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Manage day to day accounting operations and ensure that there is a redundant process backup in place for every critical operation
- Manage the accuracy and productivity of day-to-day activities of accounts payable, cash disbursements, cash receipts, general ledger journal entries, travel and expense reporting, biweekly payroll processing, revenue recognition, fixed asset records, and cost accounting.
- Advises staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close.
- Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
- Create new internal accounting corporate policies and maintain existing polices.
- Ensure the monthly and quarterly bank compliance activities are performed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Collaborates with the other department managers to support overall Association goals and objectives.
- Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Responds to inquiries from the CFO and Association wide managers regarding financial results, special reporting requests and the like.
- Work with the CFO to ensure a clean and timely year end audit.
- Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed.
- Handle personnel issues relating to staff conflicts, absenteeism, performance issues, etc.
- Direct supervision of multiple direct reports within the Finance & Accounting Department. Work with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor and advise on the progress to enhance the professional development of staff.
- Support the CFO with special projects and workflow process improvements.
- B.S. in Accounting, and at least 4 years accounting experience, including 2 years supervisory experience.
- Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designation.
- Ability to read and interpret financial reports, GAAP, FAR, FTR, and procedure manuals.
- Must have excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, and other employees of the organization.
This organization is based in Wash DC and operates on a 35 work week. It also offers a work from home option as well. Salary is $95,000 - 105,000.
skills: $100-250 million
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.