BOSTON — American healthcare workers’ confidence levels remained fairly consistent in the second quarter of 2013, according to the Q2 Randstad Healthcare Employee Confidence Index. Confidence levels among healthcare workers decreased by one-fifth of a point, to 54.3, in the second quarter of 2013. The online survey was conducted in April, May and June of this year by Harris Interactive on behalf of Randstad Healthcare, among 188 healthcare workers (ages 18 and older), including physicians, healthcare administrators and other healthcare professionals.
“Healthcare workers are in high demand, with the sector experiencing some serious labor shortages. For example, healthcare information technology specialists such as medical coders and healthcare consultants for large IT projects are in high demand within the field due to the implementation of ICD-10. Employers have to find innovative ways to compete for top talent,” said Steve McMahan, Executive Vice President of Randstad US, Professionals.
A March report by Wanted Analytics indicated that over one million jobs were posted for healthcare-related occupations, representing a three percent year-over-year increase in hiring. Registered nurses led the country in the most job ads, up 13 percent when compared to March of 2012. However, critical care nurses had the highest year-over-year growth with 34 percent more jobs posted online this year than there were last March, according to Wanted Analytics,” McMahan continued. “Even with the recent delay of the employer mandate provision of the (ACA), many healthcare organizations can’t pause due to other time-sensitive, mandated initiatives, such as the implementation of ICD-10 and the rigorous requirements to transition to electronic medical records by 2015. This, coupled with the ongoing issue of trying to augment nurse and physician staffing levels with the coming impact of the ACA, is creating challenging times for most.”
Percentage of Healthcare Workers Who Believe More Jobs Are Available Virtually Unchanged
· In the second quarter of 2013, 20 percent of healthcare workers believe more jobs available, slipping one percentage point from Q1 2013. More than half of healthcare workers (52%) believe fewer job opportunities available, holding steady compared to the previous quarter.
More Healthcare Workers Likely to Job Search in Second Quarter
· In the next 12 months, 30 percent of healthcare workers say they are likely to look for a new job, representing an increase of four percentage points from the previous quarter.
Majority of Healthcare Workers Confident They Can Find a New Job; Percentage Remains Unchanged
· More than half of healthcare workers surveyed (54%) indicate they are confident they could find a job in the next 12 months, showing no change from the previous quarter.
Employer Confidence Rises Among Healthcare Workers
· About six-in-10 (61%) healthcare workers feel confident in the future of their employer, rising three percentage points from the previous quarter.
More Healthcare Workers Optimistic About Economic Strength
· The number of healthcare workers who say the economy is getting stronger rose four percentage points this quarter to 26 percent. Forty-three percent of healthcare workers believe the economy is weakening, rising two percentage points from the previous quarter.
To view the latest quarterly trends report, click here.
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of Randstad Healthcare from April 1-3, May 7-9 and June 4-6, 2013 among 3,626 adults ages 18 and older, of which 188 are employed in healthcare, which included physicians, healthcare administrators and other healthcare professionals. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Randstad Healthcare
Randstad Healthcare is one of the largest healthcare staffing firms in the U.S. and offers market leading, all-inclusive healthcare staffing solutions. Randstad Healthcare has been matching healthcare professionals with career opportunities at America’s top healthcare facilities for over 25 years. From large hospital systems and rural medical centers, to physician groups, insurance companies, clinics and Fortune 500 companies, Randstad Healthcare offers full-service staffing capabilities, including physicians, nurses, advanced practice, case management, allied health and vendor managed services. For more information, please visit www.randstadhealthcare.com.