Client is seeking an Associate Director of Engineering and Utilities within the Baltimore Maryland area. Candidates that are interested must have a Bachelor's and/or Masters Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering. Professional Engineer license in the State of Maryland or a state with reciprocity is preferred along with being LEED Accredited. If you are interested in this position please apply and call us directly today. Thank you.
location: Baltimore, Maryland
job type: Permanent
salary: $125,000 - 150,000 per year
work hours: 8am to 4pm
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work with University stakeholders, Planning Design and Construction staff and external consultants to develop and document design standards for new construction and renovation that support the Campus Plan goals and objectives, are durable and financially appropriate, and reflect sound engineering practice.
- Perform analyses of existing building systems to inform recommendations regarding design, functionality, and performance. This may include engaging outside consultants for testing, planning or design studies, and engineering support. Systems to be evaluated include mechanical, electrical, plumbing, utilities, and infrastructure.
- Oversees campus utility plant operations and infrastructure, which includes generating capacities of approximately 12,000 Tons Chilled Water, 225,000 Pounds Per Hour Steam, 4.6 Megawatts of Electricity, and a network of underground pipes and wires distributing utilities to campus buildings.
- Manages departmental Mechanical Engineers, Utilities Plant Manager, University Energy Manager, and the Energy Analyst.
- Provides direction to the University Energy Manager for prioritizing daily tasks and project work in an effort to improve building system functionality, maximize energy efficiency, and lowering the University-wide carbon footprint. Oversees the utilities budget development process for annual energy and water costs for the campus and several off campus sites.
- Provide oversight and review of consultant's documents for design and construction projects in the area of campus and building systems engineering and design, detailing, conformance with JHU standards, and appropriateness of systems and product specification.
- Interface with Planning Design and Construction in recommending the most appropriate design solutions, addressing durability, financial sustainability, and engineering appropriateness.
- Review construction work progress on construction sites for quality assurance and conformance with contract documents. Assist in resolving discrepancies and disputes that arise during the construction process.
- Work with the Planning & Architecture and Design & Construction to formulate and implement policy and process improvements for design and construction project development process and management and continued refinement of deliverables standards and requirements.
- Provide guidance for Sustainability and university constituents for championing progress on the university's sustainability initiatives with respect to Utility and Building Infrastructure Capital Plan development and assets.
- Participate in the systems commissioning process to monitor appropriate and thorough startup and testing of systems performance to ensure the university is receiving systems that comply with contractual requirements.
- Participate in other tasks and initiatives of strategic importance to the university as well as related data gathering and analysis, research, presentation preparation, facility surveys, and other ad hoc efforts as assigned by the Senior Director of Plant Operations.
- Supports the Sustainability Team Leader for the continuing development and implementation of the University's climate change initiative, which guides the university's overall environmental efforts by prioritizing projects, strategies, and programs to reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Prepares information for decision making by senior leadership and trustees.
- Provides direction to project managers, consultant design teams, Plant Operations and other JHU constituents on engineering design, materials, systems, solutions and standards in support of sound economic and engineering design principles.
- Carries out duties and responsibilities with limited supervision. Makes decisions and establishes work priorities on complex, problem-solving operations.
- Prepares energy procurement recommendations to the Senior Director for Facility Operations
- Communicates with leadership, staff, colleagues at peer institutions and vendors using effective oral and written communication skills, tact, and persuasion as appropriate.
- Builds camaraderie and alliances with a wide range of constituents, and has a collaborative, inclusive, mentoring style of working well with others.
- The candidate must have the ability to communicate graphically through sketching, drafting and marking up drawings.
- Bachelor's and/or Masters Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering.
- Professional Engineer license in the State of Maryland or a state with reciprocity preferred.
- LEED Accredited Professional preferred.
- Successful candidates will have at least ten years experience in building and/or utility mechanical and electrical systems engineering and design work; specification of mechanical and electrical systems.
- Experience with construction and renovation of a broad variety of building types and construction delivery methods.
- Experience with working with mechanically sustainable concepts; the ability to use MS Office and AutoCAD and a thorough understanding of architectural and engineering drawings.
- Successful candidates will demonstrate an understanding and knowledge of Utility Plant Operations and ability to manage operational, maintenance, and capital renewal aspects of Homewood's utility systems.
- Use of BIM software\and other graphics programs is desired.
- Experience level: Manager
- Minimum 10 years of experience
- Education: Masters (required)
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.
For certain assignments, Covid-19 vaccination and/or testing may be required by Randstad's client or applicable federal mandate, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations. Carefully review the job posting for details on vaccine/testing requirements or ask your Randstad representative for more information.