Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Drive value by working closely with the Project Manager, Sponsor, and Subject Matter Experts to align project goals to organizational strategies
- Create and maintain a prioritized product backlog in collaboration with the team for feature delivery, including definition of security, scheduling, user interface, and testing needs
- Champion project goals as part of the Project Management Office (PMO) to identify and document well-defined project scope
- Use a functional decomposition approach to clarify project scope into a defined set of user features and acceptance criteria
- Act as a conduit between business focused and technically focused teams to ensure the solutions identified are understood and meet the business requirements identified during discovery, refinement, planning & other scoping activities
- Use agile methodologies such as user stories to drive out functional needs and acceptance criteria in a project-focused team environment
- Work with the Project Manager to identify and document a set of measurable success criteria for each project, aligned with corporate goals
- Perform impact analysis on core business, systems and financial plans including return on investment and impacts to organizational capabilities and/or solutions
- Define a clear, actionable plans for eliciting, analyzing, and documenting project deliverables, including breaking down large projects into workable Epics, Features and Product Backlog Items (PBIs)
- Communicate a formal Requirements Management Plans where necessary to facilitate understanding to cross-functional team of stakeholders and to gain buy-in for project goals, scope, measurable success criteria, and the overall plan
- Identify and document business needs through elicitation of requirements using various techniques, including interviews, document analysis, and requirements workshops transforming those requirements from Epics to Features and lower level PBIs and/or user stories
- Identify and develop solutions based on business needs through proactive communication and collaboration with business owners and subject matter experts to analyze and document requirements in the form of written requirements which can be developed and formally tested
- Write requirements specifications using natural language simply, clearly, unambiguously, and concisely
- Decompose high-level business and user requirements into functional requirements, specified in an appropriate level of detail suitable for use by the test and development teams
- Represent requirements using alternative views, such as analysis models (diagrams), prototypes, wireframes or scenarios, where appropriate
- Lead communication efforts to regularly review, verify, and validate a backlog of features and PBIs including priority, requirements and specifications associated with business rules to key project stakeholders including software developers
- Facilitate agile ceremonies such as peer reviews of work products derived from requirements specifications to ensure that the requirements were interpreted correctly
- Coordinate with the Project Manager to provide clear and accurate status updates for requirements, and with Quality Assurance team to ensure testing coverage for requirements through system and user acceptance testing
- Follow change management practices to maintain requirement baselines and ensure that changes are approved, clearly communicated, and kept up to date in requirements management and test management systems
- Elicit requirements through various techniques, especially interviews, requirements workshops, document review, observation, and process modeling
- Critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources to reconcile conflicts and decompose high-level information into actionable details
- Distinguish presented user requests from the true underlying needs and abstract up from detailed information to a more general understanding
- May be required to perform other functions within the agile as assigned or necessary (all hands on deck approach)
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Problem Solving -Analysis
Dealing with Ambiguity
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Technical and Functional
- Knowledge and familiarity with both formal Agile (Scrum, XP, SAFe) and traditional waterfall methodologies is absolutely required
- Excellent oral and written communication using clear, natural language to effectively communicate with internal and external customers, development, testing, and infrastructure teams
- Listening skills, team player skills, collaborations and working effectively within a team and at times leading the team
- Ability to organize and prioritize information effectively to cope with ambiguity and change
- Interpersonal skills, to help negotiate priorities and to resolve conflicts among project stakeholders (such as customers, project management, senior team, testers)
- Team oriented
- customer experience orientation
- Self-starting drive to develop understanding of client's business as well as professional business analysis skill set, aligned with Project Management best practices
- Experience in leading discussions with stakeholders of various levels in a confident, professional manner
- The ability to find creative solutions to business problems through identifying changes to business processes, systems, or workflows
- Proficiency with Agile methodology
- Prior experience with a formal requirements/development SDLC management software solution and test management suite is preferred such as Microsoft's Azure DevOps, Jira or other
- An understanding of the fundamentals of IIBA (International Institute of Business Analysts) required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to sit and perform extensive close keyboard and PC work
- Ability to walk, talk or hear
- Occasionally required to stand and reach with hands and arms
- Ability to meet deadlines and attendance standards.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- This classification will be required to sign a confidentiality agreement.
- 3-5 years of experience or prior knowledge/experience with client's industry or an organization utilizing similar process and procedures
- Bachelor's Degree and/or experience noted above
- PMI ACP, PMI PMP, IIBA CBAP or SAFe certifications all considered pluses for the position.
- PMI PMP certification a plus
- SAFe certifications a plus
location: Parsippany, New Jersey
job type: Permanent
salary: $80,000 - 90,000 per year
work hours: 8am to 5pm
This position is a leader on a project team and works with the project manager to ensure successful delivery of key corporate initiatives, identifying business value for feature delivery and leveraging these to create and prioritize a backlog for software development and business process improvements. The product owner works in an agile environment with key business and technical stakeholders to understand and document current business processes and business needs, acting as a key driver of transformation within the organization.
- Experience level: Experienced
- Minimum 2 years of experience
- Education: Bachelors
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.
For certain assignments, Covid-19 vaccination and/or testing may be required by Randstad's client or applicable federal mandate, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations. Carefully review the job posting for details on vaccine/testing requirements or ask your Randstad representative for more information.