Listing your education on your resume is very important at the beginning of your career. It will become less important as your career advances because employers will expect you to have real world experience in your industry. In this case, it becomes advantageous to include training and certifications on your resume in lieu of your education section. There are several ways to treat your education section depending on your level of professional experience and your resume format.
where to include your
- If you have five or more years of experience in your industry, you should put your education after your professional experience.
- If you are changing careers and your previous experience does not correlate to the position for which you are applying, you can list your education before your experience if you are currently taking classes or training yourself for your new career.
- If you are in scientific or academic fields, or have a doctorate that is relevant to your career, you should consider putting education before your experience.
- Title this section Education.
- Start with your highest degree earned and list school name, location, date completed or expected to be completed and degree.
- You can also include any special certifications and honors, as well as your GPA if it is above 3.0 (unless your school does not follow a traditional four-point scale).
- You can list your high school or GED information if you don’t have any higher education.
University of Your State, Anytown, GA, May 1999
Major: Accounting, Minor: Management
Alpha Delta Gamma Honor Society, Dean's List, GPA: 3.8
University of Your State, Anytown, GA, May 2019 (expected)
- Include this information underneath your education, unless your degree is not relevant to the position for which you are applying.
- Title this section Professional Development or Professional Certifications.
- If applicable, list your certification, training location and dates.
training and certification
Step 8: additional information
- Certified Public Accountant, June 2016
- Excel Masterclass, XYZ Accounting, June 2014
- Ecommerce Solutions Training, XYZ Accounting, March 2014