Currently working with a successful publicly traded biotechnology company that is currently seeking a Corporate Controller for their accounting & finance team to oversee a mid-size team and handle all aspects of accounting, included, but not limited to general ledger accounting and close, operational accounting, Payroll, Stock Administration, Internal Audit, SEC Reporting, Technical Accounting, etc. Position will work with auditors closely as well as partner and support FP&A. Qualified candidates will have 10+ years of experience, audit experience, SEC Reporting knowledge and preferably biotech experience. Qualified candidates please apply directly to this posting.
location: South San Francisco, California
job type: Permanent
salary: $220,000 - 240,000 per year
work hours: 9 to 5
education: Bachelor's degree
experience: 10 Years
Corporate Controller Summary of the Position
Our client is seeking a Controller in their South San Francisco office. This candidate will primarily be responsible for meeting the company's financial reporting requirements, including SEC filings, addressing technical accounting issues arising from business transactions and manage a team. At each month-end close, this candidate is responsible for accounting entries requiring high accounting acumen ( e.g. revenue and stock compensation expense). The position will report to the VP of Finance and interact with all levels of management and third-party vendors. The ideal candidate is a licensed CPA with biotechnology or pharmaceutical experience. Responsibilities
- Manage and lead a dynamic, multi-faceted team of accounting and finance professionals, and support their development
- Responsible for leading and managing all aspects of month end close, technical accounting, equity accounting, Stock option & ESPP, purchase to pay and payroll cycle
- Work with external auditor to manage the audit process and work with the Audit committee to assist them with their review of the financial statements
- Responsible for managing staff and review of full purchase to pay cycles and payroll cycle
- Prepare and communicate the quarterly SEC reporting calendar, which involves coordinating key timelines and deliverables to the external auditors, legal team, tax partner and senior mgmt. team
- Manage the timely and accurate preparation, review and filing of all external financial reports, including those filed with the SEC on Form 10-Q, 10-K and 8-K, and associated consolidated financial statements, footnotes, management discussion and analysis
- For the Company's financial statements filed with the SEC on Form 10-Q and 10-K, prepare disclosure checklists and disclosure meeting presentations, ensure the filings are properly formatted and accurate and perform XBRL tagging procedures
- Comply with internal controls related to the SEC reporting process in support of management's and the external auditors' assessment of internal controls over financial reporting
- Staying abreast of new accounting principles, SEC reporting and general trends within the financial services industry
- Develop and own tax function working with external consultant
- Assess quarterly transactions for disclosure, perform technical accounting and IRS ruling research, draft memos
qualifications: Qualification/Skills Required
- 10+ years of relevant experience (biotech industry preferred)
- Strong knowledge and understanding of US GAAP and SEC Regulations.
- Proficiency in Excel and Word and ability to learn new systems quickly are required
- An independent problem-solver with strong work ethics and intellectual curiosity will thrive
- Attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and strong interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication are essential in this collaborative work environment
- Requires strong leadership and diplomacy skills to guide teams and facilitate collaboration.
- Must have excellent organizational skills, the ability to prioritize projects, and superior attention to detail
- Bachelor's degree (MBA Preferred) in Accounting or Finance with progressive accounting experience in publicly traded companies
- 5-10 years of progressive finance leadership experience at a public company
- Experience with integrated systems including financial reporting, general ledger, purchasing, payables management (NetSuite ERP a plus)
- Experience with assessing, designing and implementing internal controls over financial reporting
- Ability to engage peers from across the organization and direct/indirect reports
- Ability to work in a dynamic work environment
- Strong team orientation and highly collaborative
- CPA (Big four audit experience preferred)
skills: Financial Reporting - SEC
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.
Qualified applicants in San Francisco with criminal histories will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.