Scientist I Job Summary
The Scientist is able to generate testable hypotheses around research questions, develop a research plan, design experimental protocols or models and prepare animal use protocols, and be responsible for carrying out experiments of high complexity with minimal supervision. The Scientist is also able to execute critical evaluations of research proposals and the published literature. The Scientist also collaborates with peers in multi-discipline programs or project teams.
The Scientist will work in an ocular therapeutics team to evaluate devices, novel drug delivery systems or novel formulations for efficacy in translatable large animal models of retinal and optic nerve diseases with clinically-relevant endpoints. Familiarity with ocular disease is desirable. This individual will be involved in generating disease models using surgical, laser, drug, chemical or genetic techniques, selecting and optimizing appropriate endpoints, dosing, data collection, data analysis and interpretation, and presentation. Drug delivery includes topical, oral, intramuscular, intravenous, intravitreal, sub-tenons, suprachoroidal, sub-retinal, peri-ocular and intracameral. Endpoints include vision psychophysics (required), ocular electrophysiology (ERG, VEP), ocular imaging such as angiography and autofluorescence, fundus and vitreal photography, ocular coherence tomography (OCT), slit lamp biomicroscopy, gonioscopy, laser photometry, specular microscopy, ultrasonography, blood flow, intraocular pressure (IOP), and ophthalmoscopy.
The Scientist will assist in developing plans, and executing experiments. The individual in this role will provide summaries of research for internal review (e.g., data generation, analytics, and reports). This individual conforms with and enforces safety regulations and maintains appropriate records; contributes to the overall safety and efficient operation of the laboratory. Education & Qualifications Required:
- Masters or Bachelor's degree in Biology or related field, plus relevant experience of one to three years.
- Experience collecting and interpreting behavioral data (e.g., psychophysics).
- Knowledge of large animal models of ocular disease as identified above.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Minimum proficiency with routine skills in the use of computers and commonly available graphics (e.g., Adobe Photoshop), spreadsheet (e.g., Microsoft Excel) and word processing (e.g., Microsoft Word), or presentation (e.g., PowerPoint) software.
- Basic ophthalmological proficiency (e.g., slit lamp biomicroscopy, ophthalmoscopy, OCT, refraction, retinoscopy, autofluorescence, fluorescence angiography, image interpretation, intraocular injections, tissue dissection, vitrectomy, lensectomy ophthalmic lasers).
- Use of ophthalmoscopic imaging technologies: E.g., digital fundus camera (conventional and high speed), gonioscope, specular microscope, refractometer, pupilometer, IOP tonometer, ocular fluorophotometer, conventional light and epifluorescence microscopes.
- Knowledge of electroretinography and visual evoked potential (VEP) systems (e.g., VERIS, Espion).
- Administration of routine anesthetic protocols and animal maintenance for non-terminal experiments.
This position is located in Irvine, California and may require minimal travel. Benefits
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- Life and AD&D Insurance
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.
Qualified applicants in San Francisco with criminal histories will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.