Bench Scientist I
Scientist, Mass Spectrometry (MS) Job Summary
- The company's Cancer Immunology Discovery Unit (CID), located in South San Francisco, is a pioneer in antibody based therapeutics. We currently have a great opportunity for a contractor scientist to join mass spectrometry (MS) group in Biotherapeutic Design and Discovery (BDD) division for an exciting project with 1 year duration.
The selected candidate will perform MS-based antibody de novo sequencing and/or proteomics analysis, as well as antibody intact analytical characterization. To succeed, you will need to be an enthusiastic team player, detail-oriented, extremely organized and comfortable working on complex problems. This is a hands-on bench position, focused on sample preparation, MS data acquisition, instrument maintenance/troubleshooting and data analysis.
Education & Qualifications
- This candidate should have the ability to independently plan, design, and implement protocols to successfully solve issues related to protein characterization and de novo sequencing. The individual will be responsible for the whole workflow from sample preparation to data analysis.
- Perform sample preparations including antibody digestions for peptide mapping analysis, and assist the fluorochromes labeling preparation for flow cytometry
- De novo sequence and analyze intact and subunit of Ab using state of the art MS techniques and software
- Maintain and troubleshoot Thermo Orbitrap mass spectrometers and nano-LC systems
- Support the recombinant Ab expressions and purifications with AKTA systems
- Maintain excellent documentation of all work including laboratory notebooks, test methods, or any other appropriate documents.
- Write and review internal reports, in addition to presenting results and experimental information to departmental colleagues
- PhD in analytical chemistry, biochemistry or related scientific fields or master with 3 years of industrial experience in proteomics and/or monoclonal antibody characterization.
- Preferred: PhD Acceptable: Master degree
- Hands-on experience in sample preparation including peptide mapping, antibody purification and labeling
- 2+ years of experience in proteomics and intact protein analysis on Thermo Q Exactive Series and LTQ Orbitrap Velos mass spectrometers equipped with Flex Ion Source is strongly preferred
- Experience in maintaining and troubleshooting Agilent and Dionex nanoflow UPLC and mass spectrometers
- Experience with recombinant antibody purification with AKTA system is desired but not required
- Strong communication skills and exemplary attention to detail
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- Life and AD&D Insurance
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.
Qualified applicants in San Francisco with criminal histories will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.