Rheumatology Medical Science Liaison Position Description
- The MSL is a field based scientific expert that strategically supports the research and business objectives of a designated therapeutic area across the product life cycle.
- This position territory includes Washington DC, Maryland and Northern Virginia.
- MSLs are the primary communicators of science within a specific geography with healthcare professionals.
- MSLs are the field scientific experts on given disease states and treatment options within a designated therapeutic area.
- They combine strong business acumen, clinical expertise, market awareness, and serve as a conduit of information both externally and internally to a cross functional customer base internally within.
- Based on therapeutic needs and product life cycles, teams may focus on certain responsibilities to a greater or lesser degree, including clinical development and pipeline support.
- External expert (opinion leader) cultivation:
- Identifies, gains access to, and develops professional relationships with external experts in therapeutic areas of interest within assigned geography. Provides education relative to disease state and products across the product lifecycle to healthcare providers and researchers.
- Serves as a medical/scientific resource to healthcare providers through answering unsolicited medical questions, and addressing other clinically related medical information issues.
- Clinical trial support:
- Supports research initiatives across development at the request of R&D to include but not limited to, site evaluation and identification, recruitment, investigator meetings, external expert identification, and study management.
- Project management:
- Works with internal Medical Affairs customers to develop and execute a territory plan designed to support and meet shared business objectives.
Inputs and maintains internal database as it relates to activities in their geography.
- Prepares marketplace in new therapeutic areas of interest, which includes creating awareness and relationships for in the Medical community.
- Serves as a scientific resource to commercial partners, as appropriate, to support activities
- Self Development:
- Develops and communicates a professional growth plan.
- Continually educates self on global market issues, trends, and product knowledge as it pertains to specific business responsibilities in key therapeutic areas.
- Takes responsibility for and actively manages professional development.
- Advanced degree required (i.e. Pharm D, MD/DO, PhD, PA or NP) in a relevant scientific discipline. Doctorate strongly preferred in a health science or clinical discipline.
- Significant industry experience in relevant therapeutic area may be accepted in lieu of education requirements.
- At least 2 years of clinical, scientific research or industry related experience or equivalent required.
- Previous pharmaceutical industry experience within relevant scientific discipline preferred.
- The MSL must possess advanced problem solving and analytic skills to be able to identify, and translate specific territory and corporate.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- 401K Plan with Company Match
- Life and AD&D Insurance
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.