job summary: Biologist IV Job Summary
The Global Protein Sciences (GPS) Group is seeking a highly motivated purification scientist to join its Purification Group at AbbVie Bioresearch Center in Worcester and contribute to Abbvies Biologics research projects. This scientist will work independently as well as part of a team to purify proteins to support drug discovery. The successful candidate will demonstrate scientific excellence, a strong work ethic and dedication to team/project goals INTAKE CALL NOTES:
- What are the top 5 skills/requirements this person is required have?
- a. Required Skill 1: experience purifying proteins
- b. Required Skill 2: experience with AKTA systems
- c. Required Skill 3: experience with analytics (SDS-PAGE, western blot and analytical SEC)
- d. Required Skill 4: good documentation
- e. Required Skill 5: experimental design
- What is a nice to have (but not required) regarding skills, requirements, experience, education, or certification?
- Membrane proteins, expression construct design, Structural biology, Therapeutic Biologics
- What is the environment that this person will be working in (i.e. group setting vs. individual role)?
- What hours and days will this person work on a weekly basis?
location: Worcester, Massachusetts
job type: Contract
salary: $34.67 - 40.79 per hour
work hours: 9 to 5
responsibilities: Job Responsibilities
- Develop protocols to purify proteins using SEC, IEX, and AEX chromatography.
- Work with AKTA FPLC systems to purify proteins.
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the lab.
- Effectively coordinate with colleagues and research teams.
- Contribute to experimental design and process optimization.
- Read and apply relevant scientific literature to improving protocols.
- Effectively organize and communicate research progress through oral presentations and written documentation.
- Keep accurate, detailed and timely records of laboratory work.
qualifications: Education & Qualifications
- BS & 5+ years of relevant experience; MS & 2+ years of relevant experience or a recent PhD.
- Strong laboratory skills, effective documentation skills and the ability to present data clearly are necessary.
- Experience with AKTA FPLC systems to purify proteins from E. coli, insect and human cell culture systems. Experience with automated and/or high throughput purification a plus.
- Experience purifying integral membrane proteins desirable.
- Experience with protein analysis: SDS-PAGE, western blot, and analytic SEC.
- Experience in expression construct design, a plus.
- Experience in research and development of protein therapeutics a plus.
skills: Data Analysis, Biology, Protein Purification
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.