job summary: GMA Operations Medical Education Specialist - II Job Summary
The Independent Medical Education (IME) Manager oversees the operation of the organization's Medical Education Grant program, and related activities. This can include but is not limited to internal/external stakeholder engagement and communication, lifecycle grant management, statistical reporting, budget management, process improvement, etc.
- Participates in developing, interpreting, training and implementing policies and procedures for the organization.
- Manages, develops and trains staff in the department ensuring employee conformance to established policies and practices.
- Oversee operational management of one or more GMA Educational Grant Programs
- Lead GMA project development/harmonization, implementation, modifications and optimization, including alignment of processes and systems to the requirements of GMA, Legal and Compliance partners
- Manage system vendors and address GMA team requirements
- Identify areas for process improvement, propose changes, and participate in implementation as appropriate
location: Lexington, Massachusetts
job type: Contract
salary: $46.06 - 54.19 per hour
work hours: 9 to 5
responsibilities: Job Responsibilities
30% of Time
- Operational management of one or more GMA programs, systems, and services for Independent Medical Education Grants, Medical Sponsorships
- Support GMA program development/harmonization, implementation, modifications and optimization, including alignment of processes and systems to the requirements of GMA, Legal and Compliance regulations
- Support definition and management of procedures, communication and training for relevant grant programs
- Manage system vendors and facilitate addressing of grant program requirements
- Focus on continuous improvement for lifecycle grant management, identify areas for process improvement, propose changes, and participate in implementation as appropriate
- Communicate program initiatives internally & externally (multiple methods to include but not limited to intranet and Internet site content development and management)
30% of Time
- Lifecycle management of Independent Medical Education (IME) and medical sponsorship grant programs within assigned Therapeutic Area(s) or Region(s)
- Lead the development of annual areas of interest for IMEs and development of the annual IME plan in collaboration with key internal Medical Affairs TA stakeholders
- Engage and communicate clearly and concisely with external and internal stakeholders, globally, regarding all aspects of the IME and medical sponsorship grant programs.
- Work with appropriate team members to ensure compliance with Shire IME processes, systems, and regulations, external healthcare laws
- Stay informed of applicable governmental compliance laws and industry standards for IME and medical sponsorship
15% of Time
- Manage the IME and medical sponsorship proposal review process for assigned Therapeutic Area(s) or Region(s).
- Coordinate with the IME committee for review and IME and medical sponsorship proposals
- Facilitate the IME review committee meetings
- Ensure timely review of proposals by required grant review committees, contract generation and execution
- Ensure appropriate and efficient follow-up of review committee action items, decisions, and/or requests for additional information regarding the proposal
- Monitor and report progress and outcomes of IME and medical sponsorship grants to internal stakeholders
- Provide regular updates to internal stakeholders regarding IME budget status
15% of Time
- Oversee the lifecycle management of Independent Medical Education (IME) and medical sponsorship grant programs within assigned Therapeutic Area(s) or Region(s).
- Track activity progress against proposed timelines
- Interact directly with external grant requestors to ensure compliance with the client's policy, global and local healthcare laws
- Work with legal and compliance colleagues as necessary to facilitate the efficient creation and execution of IME contracts and amendments
- Secure required documentation, and publications (as applicable) from completed activities and coordinate with appropriate functional groups for review Monitor and report progress and outcomes of IMEs to internal stakeholders
10% of Time
- Track and report on insights of IME Grants and Medical Sponsorships and perform reconciliations
- Follow up with grant award recipients to determine results of IME Grants and Medical Sponsorships
- Report insights of IME Grants to internal stakeholders
- Perform budget reconciliations at end of each grant lifecycle
qualifications: Education & Qualifications
- A relevant Bachelor's degree (BS or BA) is required, advanced science degree (e.g. MS, PhD) is preferred
- 4 years of experience in a relevant life science industry (e.g. biopharmaceutical/biotechnology) preferably within a matrix structure and/or in the area of grant management within academia/or at a heath care organization.
- 2 years of project management, experience managing and/or developing grant and/or service provider engagement is preferred
- Experience of managing vendors is preferred
- Knowledge of medical affairs customer interaction and documentation best practices, legal and regulatory requirements, Codes of Practice, Standard Operating Practices and guidelines is required
- Strong relationship management skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Focus on accountability and ownership
- Excellent verbal communication, presentation, and written skills
- Unquestionable ethics
- Experience with grant management systems (Polaris, Envision, etc...) preferred.
- Experience in budget forecasting, metrics generation and program operations data analysis in Microsoft Excel preferred.
- Experience within relevant disease/therapeutic areas preferred
skills: Project Management, Medical Information
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.