This is an entry level position for the Molecular Assay testing laboratory. The Molecular Technologist - Assay I works independently but closely with the technical staff, leads, supervisors, and other departments to perform routine testing within the laboratory. The Molecular Technologist - Assay I independently executes routine tasks as trained. The Molecular Technologist - Assay I may be asked to participate in processes for clinical research or development projects as needed. This position reports to the Laboratory Assay Supervisor.
location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
job type: Permanent
salary: $40,000 - 43,000 per year
work hours: 9 to 5
- Enters data completely and accurately into the Laboratory Information System (LIS).
- Documents all quality control activities, instrument maintenance, and calibrations daily.
- Identifies opportunities to improve workflow and/or documentation.
- Documents incidents and corrective action according to established procedures.
- Participates and provides information for incident investigations and assists in performing corrective action under the direction of the laboratory management team.
- Ensures all reagents are used within stability and properly labeled with expiration dates as required by SOPs and CAP/CLIA regulations.
- Assists laboratory inspections as required by the laboratory management team.
- Conducts all activities to protect patient confidentiality in accordance with HIPPA.
- Ensures that all activities and procedures are conducted according to established laboratory procedures and CAP/CLIA guidelines.
- Identifies and reports unacceptable or abnormal performance to the supervisor or lead.
- Monitors inventory closely to maintain required levels.
- Maintains laboratory cleanliness and uses universal precautions while working in the laboratory.
- Performs test analyses daily and reviews quality records as required.
- Performs molecular biology bench-work, including but not limited to: PCR set-up, library preparation, Indexing, NGS sequencing, automated blood counts, and hemoglobinopathy testing as trained following laboratory established SOPs and quality standards with minimal supervision.
- Operates automated liquid handling instrumentation to execute complex high-throughput procedures and troubleshoot as trained according to SOPs.
- Solves routine problems independently within established troubleshooting processes.
- Performs other tasks and duties as directed by laboratory management.
- Follows Company policies and procedures at all times.
- Demonstrates knowledge of both the practice and the laboratory policies and procedures.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in prioritizing daily workload to accomplish deadlines and meet department goals.
- Must exhibit comfortable interaction with technical staff and other departments.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team setting.
- Demonstrated ability to complete projects with other members of the team.
- Contributes as a member of the laboratory team with precision and accuracy.
- Demonstrates good judgment in notifying appropriate staff of deviations from process and unusual results or events.
- Capable of identifying problems using analytical skills to determine the required corrective action.
- Accurately and efficiently performs tasks at all times, including the completion of laboratory documentation.
- In accordance with HIPAA, this position must maintain the confidentiality of the patient in all circumstances as well as company confidentiality. Ensures the confidentiality of all patient data is maintained.
skills: GLP (Good Laboratory Practice), Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS), Sample Preparation, Sample Testing, Sanitation, LIMS (Laboratory Information Management System
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.