Apply your Histology Skills in a world-class, Federally-funded Cancer Research Lab.
The successful candidate will contribute to gynecologic cancer biomarker research by providing high throughput histology services for biospecimen annotation and research. Specific duties will include tissue processing and embedding following defined SOPs, microtomy, cryomicrotomy, histological staining, coverslipping, quality review and digital whole slide imaging.
location: Annandale, Virginia
job type: Permanent
salary: $45,000 - 65,000 per year
work hours: 9 to 5
1. Performs standard tissue processing, paraffin and OCT embedding, microtomy and cryotomy, hematoxylin and eosin staining, and coverslipping following standard operating procedures.
2. Performs and documents all histology laboratory related Quality Control activities to include assurance that slide labels accurately reflect cassette case numbers.
3. Perform daily maintenance of all equipment and instruments in the histology laboratory, prepare reagent controls and determine if instruments and equipment functions are acceptable.
4. Maintains a safe work environment following approved safety practice in the work area including removal of all chemical waste. Keep workplace clean and free from clutter. Cleans up after completion of work
5. Performs cassette/slides labeling. Record completed work in laboratory database.
6. Monitors supplies and reagents. Communicate with appropriate staff when ordering is required.
1. Competency in microtomy, embedding and staining of formalin-fixed paraffin embedded tissues.
2. Maintain effective communication including verbal and written skills, and articulate concerns and updates in a professional manner.
3. Complete all assigned tasks in a timely manner.
4. Work proficiently in a fluctuating work environment, including maintaining productivity during laboratory down-time.
5. Embrace new duties when needed, following appropriate instruction and supervision.
6. Perform basic computer skills, including Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Office.
7. Understand and articulate basic medical terminology and laboratory functions
Two year Associate or a Bachelor's degree from an accredited histotechnology program and HT (ASCP) or equivalent experience from a comprehensive histology laboratory required. Relevant education transcripts required. For those candidates grandfathered by the ASCP, High school diploma or equivalent required.
Minimum Experience: 2 years work experience at high volume pathology laboratory.
skills: Biology, GLP (Good Laboratory Practice), Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS), Sample Preparation, Sample Testing, Sanitation, LIMS (Laboratory Information Management System
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.