The Clinical Laboratory Scientist performs general laboratory duties in a newly developed COVID-19 Diagnostic testing laboratory. Qualified candidates must possess a current New York State Department of Education license as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist (CLT)
location: Stony Brook, New York
job type: Permanent
salary: $80,000 - 100,000 per year
work hours: 8 to 4
- Follows written lab procedures for the correct handling and processing of specimens. Performs lab procedures of moderate and high complexity in accordance with standards set forth in sectional laboratory procedures.
- Maintains an up to date working knowledge of all technical procedures in the department and operations of all instrumentation. Reviews all pertinent SOPMs. Manipulate and operate simple and complex laboratory equipment including computers; may perform maintenance and limited tear down and replacement of parts of laboratory equipment; problem-solve equipment malfunctions.
- Assists in the orientation and training of new employees. Participates in the training of technical staff and monitors their progress with supervisor. Serves as a resource to peers and other personnel.
- Maintain lab safety at all times by following safe handling and quality control processes and wearing proper protective gear. This includes maintaining a sterile lab environment to avoid any cross-contamination of specimens and samples.
- Performs quality control procedures established for each method and maintains accurate records. Reviews and analyzes quality control data, identifies QC trends or problems, makes judgments and takes appropriate corrective action. Prior to releasing any test results. (If applicable)
- Operates laboratory instruments and performs routine maintenance & procedural calibrations. Diagnoses, troubleshoots and documents all lab instrument and / or reagent problems. Performs preventative and corrective maintenance/repairs and maintains records of actions. Contacts technical services representatives when necessary to resolve problems.
- Reviews accuracy and completeness of results prior to releasing in the Laboratory Information System (if applicable). Recognizes unexpected or unreasonable results and/or testing delay
- Must hold active NYS Clinical Laboratory Technologist License.
- BS Degree in Biology, Chemistry, or a related science field.
- 2+ years' experience.
- Experience in a Virology Testing Laboratory.
- Experience in RNA Extraction and PCR Amplification.
- Supervisory Experience in a clinical lab setting
- Proficient with MS Word, Excel and Outlook.
skills: Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Analytical Chemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry, Microbiology, Geochemistry
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.