Sr. Scientist, Product Development
The Product Development Senior Scientist manages and participates in technical projects and activities for the Vitamin, Mineral, Herbs and Supplements (VMHS) branded new products, including design, development, and technology transfer of new formulas, processes, products, line extensions and provides technical support to core products as needed.
location: Florham Park, New Jersey
job type: Contract
salary: $57 - 76 per hour
work hours: 7 to 3
- Leads technical execution of new and innovative VMHS product launches from ideation through commercialization e.g. technical brief generation, formula development, prototyping, pilot production, shelf life studies, analytical testing, and finished product specification development.
- Proactively identifies and leads technical team evaluation of novel functional ingredients, delivery forms, process and other relevant technologies to fuel future innovation.
- Partners with internal consumer research teams to design and coordinate consumer research studies to optimize product design and assure new products deliver an exceptional consumer experience.
- Establishes strong working relationships with external suppliers, contract development labs and manufacturing sites to successfully advance projects in accordance with the overall project timeline.
- Organizes and facilitates cross-functional team discussions with R&D, Marketing, Quality, and Supply-Chain project leads to drive decision making and progress on new product development initiatives.
- Presents interpreted trial results, development updates, and technical recommendations to management and project team members and stakeholders as required.
- 4+ years of industrial experience in the dietary supplement, consumer healthcare and/or value-added consumer packaged goods industry with continually increasing scope of responsibilities.
- Experience with dietary supplements and/or VMHS supplemented foods is required.
- BS in Food Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Nutritional Sciences, or equivalent
- Breadth of technical knowledge and experience in application in functional food/nutritionals/dietary supplement formulation, product, process and platform development and delivery systems.
- Demonstrated expertise in partnering with external suppliers and contract developers and manufacturers.
- Proven track record of successful delivery of technical projects in a value-added consumer packaged goods environment preferred.
- Training or certifications in Project Management is desired.
- Problem solving mindset
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in NPD/Stage Gate process from Idea through Commercialization.
- Understanding of Good Manufacturing Practices and working knowledge of form-specific regulatory requirements (DSHEA, FDA) and certifications (non-GMO, Kosher, Halal, DSVP, etc.).
skills: Chemistry, Biomedical Engineering, Food Product Development
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.