Contract position: A rail transport company, active in the fields of passenger transportation, signalling and locomotives is looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer in the Vallejo, CA area. This is a 1-year CONTRACT position. No per diem available.
Responsibilities for the Mechanical Design Engineer
- Coordinate activities internally and with other groups to effectively accomplish objectives requiring knowledge of associated functions and related engineering fields. Promote independent actions to improve operating efficiencies and customer relations. Use computers and selected programs for such matters as preparing reports and conducting analyses.
- Exercises ingenuity and implements innovative concepts to save cost. Monitor progress, comply with quality and schedule requirements, and maintain detailed logs and records. High level internal and external contacts including those with customers. Requires strong communication skills and the ability to negotiate, persuade, influence decisions, and obtain approvals on important matters.
- Serves as advisor and spokesperson on highly significant matters and exerts considerable influence regarding new business initiatives. Responsible for meeting cost, schedule, and performance objectives. May make presentations to senior managers and customers. Provide instructions to designers for the development and preparation of system schematics, layouts, assembly, and detail drawings.
- Review vendor proposals for compatibility with the specification and program requirements. Prepare specifications and related documents in accordance with requirements, established formats, and general instructions. Review and analyze a variety of engineering data, documents, and reports.
Requirements for the Mechanical Design Engineer
- Bachelor's degree is required. 5+ years of mechanical design experience required. Catia v5 experience required. Solid Works experience is preferred. Rail experience preferred.
- In lieu of rail experience, experience in the heavy machinery, automotive, aerospace, marine, or electronics industry would be accepted. Knowledge and experience with 2D drawings & ASME Y14.5, metallic materials preferred.