Permanent position: Chief Metallurgist - Specialty steel manufacturer. Hands on leader of all technical activities of this cold drawn bar mill focused on manufacture of special shapes. Serves on company executive team, reports to President & CEO. Functions as chief metallurgist. Direct reports include process engineer and metallurgist. BS Materials Science and Engineering or Metallurgical Engineering. Responsibilities for the Chief Engineer
Requirements for the Chief Engineer
- Functions as chief metallurgist along with responsibility for all quality, plant and equipment maintenance, contract review, product engineering, product testing, project engineering and environmental compliance activities.
- Budgetary responsibility for MRO, chemicals, energy, environmental, tooling and maintenance spending.
- Primary contact for supplier and customer technical requirements.
- Establishes spending plans and controls spending for assigned responsibilities
- Responsible for maintaining company ISO certification, leads ISO Management Reviews; leads preparation for internal, surveillance and renewal audits; maintains QMS
- Process owner for all product technical specifications including material specifications, annealing requirements, process paths and product certification
- BS Materials Science and Engineering or Metallurgical Engineering.
- 15 or more years of diverse plant and product engineering assignments of increasing responsibility including mill and/or engineering leadership roles in the steel industry
- Strong supplier quality foundation
- Solid foundation in ISO requirements
- Working understanding of steel annealing processing and effects to achieve mechanical properties
- Strong foundation in environmental compliance requirements
- Strong general business savvy and entrepreneurial bent toward measured risk taking
- Comfortable using integrated ERP system for business process control
- Comfort with metallurgical lab activities and test procedures
- Practical experience leading maintenance and project engineering
- Serves on company executive team, reports to President & CEO
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.