Sr. Electrical Engineer
The Senior Electrical Engineer has full responsibility for interpreting, organizing, executing and coordinating engineering projects, some with complex challenges and/or with significant impact on major company programs. The Senior Electrical Engineer serves as Project Manager, Project Engineer and Staff Engineer with responsibility for applying intensive and diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices in broad areas, using advanced techniques, theory, precepts and practices in a specialized engineering field and related sciences and disciplines. Individual is responsible for designing and managing projects, which may include the following: planning, coordinating and directing engineering projects with many complex features including on-site visits as well as responsibility for the work of both in-house staff and other consultants. Position requires communication with the project Architect and/or Owner via meetings in-house, at architect's office, on job sites, etc., phone calls, emails and private file sites.
location: Columbus, Ohio
job type: Permanent
salary: $90,000 - 125,000 per year
work hours: 9am to 5pm
- Plans, coordinates, and oversees other engineers' and support personnel work as a lead on a project basis.
- Prepares specifications for use in engineering design and development and serves as a technical specialist on a certain product, building type, etc.
- Makes preliminary selections, engineering adaptations, and prepares reports in line with engineering principles and practices.
- Adjusts and correlates data, recognizing and addressing discrepancies. Work with the Team Manager to prepare design budgets and schedules.
- Assists in estimating discipline hours required to complete the design requirements of a project.
- Provides leadership and assigns engineering design job functions to designated designers and oversees their efforts in completing the project on time and within budget.
- Provides complete construction documents that match the client and project team requirements and reviews preliminary and final designs with other disciplines for function, clearances, coordination, and final review prior to turning in for formal QAQC; follows through with QAQC comments.
- Participates in and completes formal QAQC reviews for other electrical designers.
- Follows up on requests for information and submittals as well as punch lists in the field and construction observation.
- Prepares electrical distribution equipment information and Lighting systems to participate in Project Team Selection Interviews with potential clients. Provides electrical detail and answers electrical questions during interview process and follows up with any electrical questions and/or needs following the interview. Documents project information as required.
- Participates in project walkthroughs as needed with client and project team to assess whether client's vision for the project is attainable. Provides electrical expertise to clarify project plan, scope; communicate potential issues and offer alternative suggestions for the client to consider.
- Assesses the electrical and infrastructure needs on site for the programming phase of the project as needed or required. Communicates with the appropriate municipalities and utility companies to collect data necessary to begin the electrical design plans for the project.
- Responsible for high level electrical narrative for Pre-Design presentation with the client and project team. Collaborates with architect, civil and structural engineers to avoid project deficiencies prior to presentation with the client.
- Responsible for high level calculations to establish appropriate sizing for infrastructure. Researches city, county, and national electrical codes, verifies, reviews and becomes familiar with coding requirements.
- Participates in project meetings during all phases of project - Meeting can be held in office and out, ranging from 30 minutes to 8+ hours per meeting.
- Prepares and/or oversees the preparation of construction and bidding documentation for all phases of project.
- Review and Assess engineering building components - includes on-line, in-house and factory witnessing and construction observation.
- Train/Mentor junior engineers.
- Maintain a high level of integrity and discipline with a strong work ethic.
- Special projects and other duties as required.
- At least 7 years of prior consulting engineering - healthcare and government facilities design experience preferred
- Experience in the design, planning, and specifying of normal and emergency power equipment and distribution, lighting and lighting controls, and other electrical systems
- MS Office and Autodesk Revit experience required
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels within and outside the organization
- Decision-making ability that positively reflects the company's mission and values and is in line with the company's fiscal responsibilities
- Ability to produce a valid driver license and proof of insurance (if driving required for position).
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.