A Commissioning Mechanical Engineer is needed for a leader in the world of Technical Services and Engineering in the Ridgecrest, CA area. This job will provide services and deliverables through the performance of Mechanical Equipment Acceptance Testing and Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning (HVAC)/Testing and Balancing (TABS) Inspection services support that will that will serve a critical role on the company's team supporting Navy's Commanding Officer's executive leadership team to assist in monitoring all aspects of construction to improve performance across cost, schedule, safety and quality.
location: Ridgecrest, California
job type: Contract
salary: $55 - 60 per hour
work hours: 8am to 5pm
- Participates in pre-construction conferences on selected projects with highly sophisticated technical requirements or critical completion dates.
- Monitors and provides detailed surveillance of construction contract submittals and routinely provides on-site inspection of mechanical equipment and systems.
- Serve in the field of HVAC system delivery, particularly during the construction phase of the acquisition process.
- Perform Quality Assurance reviews of drawings, specifications, calculations, cost estimates as related to mechanical equipment acceptance testing and HVAC testing TABS inspection.
- Review submittals for completeness, functionality, sound engineering practice and compliance with DoD and NAVFAC criteria, and other applicable codes and standards.
- Make site investigation field trips to project sites, as required, to collect all pertinent data as it related to assigned duties.
- Monitors the status of construction projects for quality and timeliness of construction on contracts that involve technically complex mechanical system aspects. Will handle complex mechanical, HVAC, and piping projects, requiring oversight, coordination, guidance, engineering design and construction services.
- As the Subject Matter Expert and technical specialist in the area of mechanical equipment/systems acceptance testing, perform technical administration of acceptance and commissioning programs, including coordination efforts with other engineers and architects involved in multidiscipline projects.
- Identify areas or risk associated with design and construction and develop mitigation strategies or alternatives
- Responsible for tracking the progress of assigned projects to ensure timely support is provided to the field offices and that the submittals are reviewed within allotted schedules.
- Thoroughly evaluate all mechanical systems to confirm installation complies with the design intent and provides the desired levels of system performance.
- Provides direction for the Testing, Adjusting, Balancing and Startup (TABS) Program and the associated Performance Verification Testing /Functional Performance Testing (PVT / FPT) as part of the final acceptance process
- Regularly prepares correspondence and reports. Prepares written and oral presentations regarding mechanical acceptance and testing related topics including review and approval of contractor's submittals to determine that they conform to the requirements of the contract drawings and specifications. Reviews and approves shop drawings, samples of materials and components, catalog information, certificates of compliance, Value Engineering Change Proposals (VECPs)
- Provides technical responses to mechanical equipment acceptance testing and HVAC testing/TABS Requests for Information (RFIs).
- Ensures that requests for deviations or changes to any terms and conditions of the contract are coordinated and approved, as appropriate.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited college or university (or certified equivalent), supplemented by a minimum 10+ years actual design experience, is required.
- PE required
- Certification as a commissioning professional by the Associated Air Balance Council (AABC) Commissioning Group (ACG), the Association of Energy Engineers (AEE), the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), the Commissioning Process Management Process Management Professional (CPMP), the Building Commissioning Association (BCA), the National Environmental Balancing Bureau (NEBB), or the University of Wisconsin - Madison (UWM) is required
- Be a certified HVAC Technician. (Having a North American Technician Excellence (NATE) certification, while not required, is preferred.)
- Experience level: Experienced
- Minimum 10 years of experience
- Education: Bachelors (required)
- Mechanical Design
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.
Qualified applicants in San Francisco with criminal histories will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.