The Production/Process Engineer acts as an experienced technical resource for plant operations in a modern Chlor-Alkali production facility, applying technical skills to optimize plant performance, resolve problems, and enable safe and environmentally acceptable production of low cost, quality products. Solid technical skills combined with excellent communication, organizational ability, and leadership attributes are key to both immediate and long-term success in the role. BS in Chemical Engineering and prior exposure to chlor-alkali processes is preferred, will consider degreed engineers (ME, IE) with experience in other similar environments (co-gen, other types of chemical mfg, etc).
location: Pittsburg, California
job type: Permanent
salary: $110,000 - 125,000 per year
work hours: 8am to 4pm
- Understands and applies all Environmental, Health & Safety (EH&S) operational requirements.
- Understands chemical engineering fundamentals and provides technical advising on operations while maintaining high standards for process safety.
- Optimizes daily production to achieve business and plant goals (i.e. EH&S, quality, reliability, cost).
- Participates in advanced troubleshooting and coaches others to learn these skills.
- Participate in commissioning of new process equipment installations.
- Coordinate and assist in implementation of minor plant system changes. Including small equipment additions, modifications and/or deletions and minor process design.
- Coordinates and follows up the improvement project of production efficiency.
- Provide operational and technical support to project coordinator(s) for large, extensive plant system changes. Includes operational review, assistance with cost/benefit analysis, and participating in Hazard Reviews.
- Assist in writing and reviewing Unit Operating Procedures in assigned areas of the Plant.
- Support plant leadership with plant material balances, yields, closures, project design scope, etc. as deemed necessary to maintain operations. Completes process engineering study and design for new projects and coordinate with Engineering Department to complete projects.
- Assist with annual expense budget preparation.
- Participate in committees as assigned.
- Performs special projects and studies as assigned. Carry out cost/benefit analysis for special projects.
- Perform internal technical training sessions for operating personnel.
- Share weekend call duty with other Tech staff personnel.
- Perform duties in a manner that protects personal safety as well as the safety of all personnel on site. Whenever appropriate; promptly report Safety, Health or Environmental incidents or issues to management so the situation can be corrected.
- Perform the primary thinking encompassed by this job description.
- Comply with all Company policies and procedures.
- Fully support Company goals of continuous improvement and operational excellence at strategic and tactical levels including reviewing area of responsibility for improvement opportunities to initiate projects or communicate ideas to management as well as active participation on project teams
- Maximizes plant production capability and assists with tracking and evaluation of asset utilization data for areas of responsibility.
- Facilitates and ensures that appropriate root cause analysis is completed and corrective actions are implemented to address unplanned events.
- Collaborate with project team to identify and prioritize improvements.
- Occasionally interface with contractors and vendors as project/process owner.
- Experience level: Experienced
- Minimum 3 years of experience
- Education: Bachelors (required)
- Process Control
- Process Improvement
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.
Qualified applicants in San Francisco with criminal histories will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.