A Research Engineer is needed for a world leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives in the Clayton, NC area. The main function of a research engineer is to research and investigate the design, functionality and maintenance of mechanical products, equipment, systems and processes. A typical research engineer has the ability to make engineering drawings, and read and interpret blueprints.
location: Clayton, North Carolina
job type: Contract
salary: $27.44 - 41.68 per hour
work hours: 8am to 5pm
- BCP Attachments (Work Tools) Team, you will need a strong entrepreneurial spirit and a desire to grow your business acumen.
- The incumbent must have the willingness to learn our customer's business and develop innovative solutions to meet their needs.
- You will support multiple simultaneous projects to improve product reliability and customer satisfaction with global product group responsibilities.
- The successful candidate's responsibilities will include but are not limited to designing new fabrications and hydromechanical attachments; creating/releasing drawings; analyzing FEA results; building & evaluating testbed, prove design and pilot builds to support current product issue resolution as well as new product introduction programs through various gateways.
- This position will be cross functionally focused supporting the engineering and product support teams; reporting to the BCP Loader Work Tool Manager.
- This position's typical day will vary based on the project progression. In the early stages, days could be spent at their desk designing and refining the concept.
- Later in the project timeline, the successful candidate could spend days in the shop building and testing the Prove Design build.
- This could and will likely drive design refinement. This will require the use of heavy equipment such as operating a Hydraulic Excavator, a Backhoe Loader or a Steer Loader to evaluate and test designs.
Education Requirement: Bachelor's Degree in an accredited Engineering or Materials Science curriculum
Technical Skills Required:
- 2 - 4 years previous design experience
- 2 - 4 years Creo (ProE) or equivalent CAD system experience
- 2 - 4 years prior experience designing structural fabrications and components
- Demonstrated prior root cause analysis (6 Sigma)
- Demonstrated strong technical writing
- Understanding of ISO, SAE and other governmental standards and regulations .
- Working knowledge of hand and power tools such as hammer wrenches and impact tools
- Prior hydraulic design experience or at a minimum good hydraulic functional understanding
- strong understanding of NPI process and gateway requirements
- strong understanding of CPI process requirements.
- strong analytical, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Product & Application knowledge for compact construction equipment such as, hydraulic excavators, backhoe loaders, telehandlers, skid steer loaders, compact wheel loaders and small wheel loaders
- Previous Attachments (Work Tool) product knowledge
- Experience with Pro/E, Teamcenter and Vis MockUp
- Experience with FEA and/or dynamics modeling
- Experience in hydraulic component and/or system design
Soft Skills Required: strong Written and Verbal communication Ability to work in a team environment Familiarity with a work shop environment
- Experience level: Experienced
- Minimum 4 years of experience
- Education: Bachelors
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.