The QA/QC Manager oversees all the site's activities and tasks related to quality, food safety and compliance. They are responsible for maintaining and implementing programs under our Business Management System that promote and ensure adherence to internal and external quality, food safety and compliance requirements. Additionally, they are responsible for the day-to-day operation of the Quality Control Laboratory to ensure smooth flow of samples and testing to generate accurate and repeatable data that can be relied upon. Hands-on laboratory testing is also expected as required.
location: Dundalk, Maryland
job type: Permanent
salary: $90,000 - 110,000 per year
work hours: 8am to 4pm
- Oversees quality control testing and associated data throughout the production cycle, including the testing of raw materials, fermentation process stages, and final products
- Responsible for final product release. Informs production management of any out of specification product for immediate corrective and preventative action to be taken
- Supervises testing activities to ensure repeatability and reproducibility of data while preserving high productivity and technical integrity. Participates in ring tests and other proficiency tests as scheduled
- Ensures all data are recorded in the appropriate data repository in a timely manner.
- Hires, trains, coaches and reviews the performance of Laboratory Technicians. Counsels lab staff regarding problems encountered in daily lab operations and takes disciplinary action as needed in collaboration with production management.
- Coordinates analyses done through external laboratories as required.
- Ensures an adequate inventory of laboratory supplies and equipment, within prescribed budgetary limits
- Schedules calibration and preventive maintenance on laboratory equipment as needed and troubleshoots and corrects equipment issues when necessary.
- Promotes a safe work environment, a culture of food safety, as well as a ''bottom-up'' communication approach at the site when it comes to quality, with employees of all levels
- Ensures the site's compliance to the following requirements (as applicable):
- Business Unit Management System (BMS)
- Corporate quality guidelines
- Customer requirements
- Industry standards (such as HACCP, GMP's, GLP's and prerequisite programs),
- Certification requirements (such as FSSC, Kosher, NGP, Halal, ISO 17 025, etc.)
- Regulatory requirements (FDA, CFIA, federal, state/provincial, and local labor regulations including compliance to the Union Contract, etc.)
- Practical understanding of HACCP, Good Manufacturing Practices and Good Laboratory Practices
- Working knowledge of food industry regulations (FDA and/or CFIA)
The essential functions of this role include:
- standing for 4 hours at one time
- working up to 3 hrs of overtime per week
- working weekends
- Experience level: Experienced
- Minimum 10 years of experience
- Education: Bachelors (required)
- Quality Assurance
- Quality Control
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.