The Oracle Platform team is responsible for designing, developing and enforcing the standards and processes that support each phase of an Oracle database's life cycle. Designing, testing, automating, and documenting procedures to perform key Oracle tasks such as creating, backing up, recovering, patching, upgrading, and removing databases as well as overseeing the execution of these procedures by our vendor partners
- Developing and implementing proactive and reactive monitoring to identify and address conditions that may compromise our ability to meet the organization's availability, performance, and security requirements
- Enforcing database and data security policies and standards as well as reporting upon policy and standard compliance status to both internal and external audiences
- Researching, evaluating, and recommending new Oracle capabilities and management tools that meet the organization's needs
- Reporting to internal and external audiences on topics that include, but are not limited to, capacity, currency, availability, and security
- Planning, scheduling, and supervising changes to databases and hosting infrastructure in a manner that avoids disruption to production and development systems
- Collaborating with internal and external application, infrastructure, and business teams to achieve common goals
- Creating and communicating plans for projects of medium to large complexity
- Consulting on topics where expertise in Oracle infrastructure is a requirement
- Managing and supervising the deployment of security and bug fix patches
- Managing and supervising the Oracle component during regular company disaster recovery (DR) testing
- Providing ongoing support to internal and external operations and support teams on an as-needed basis, which may require some off-hour and weekend availability
- 5 or more years of experience as an Oracle production or application DBA
- Extensive experience in the installation, configuration, and maintenance of Oracle RAC, Restart, and Data Guard in UNIX-based hosting environments.
- Experience in all stages of planning, analysis, testing, and implementation of a medium to large-scale project involving a significant architectural or behavioral change such as migration to Oracle's multitenant architecture, migration to a different hosting infrastructure, adoption of a new feature such as Data Guard, Golden Gate, etc.
- Experience with database design, administration and maintenance in distributed environments
- Experience in troubleshooting and resolving database issues, including performance tuning
- Proven expertise in database design, including a solid understanding of related programming languages, clustering, back-up/restore technologies, replication and security
- Experience with DBMS backup solutions including RMAN, Oracle Zero Data Loss, or other 3rd party backup software/hardware solutions such as Commvault, LiteSpeed, EMC
- Proven proficiency in SQL and PL/SQL/TSQL sufficient to both understand performance implications of code structure as well as to guide application developers in appropriate coding practices
- Extensive experience in creation of Perl, Python, and/or PL/SQL scripts to automate routine maintenance tasks.
- Excellent English communication skills (verbal and written)
- Additional background supporting SQL Server, UDB, Teradata, ILM and/or Netezza.
- Additional background in application development and/or UNIX/Linux administration
- Strong working knowledge of industry-standard database management tools.
- Demonstrated, successful experience working in a matrixed, multi-vendor technology environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in urgent situations with high pressure and visibility.
- Working familiarity with Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM)