Sr Systems Engineer-Patch Management
Sr Systems Engineer-Patch Management
Department: Service Management
Role/Responsibilities: This individual will be part of the Infrastructure Operations Support team. The role will also interact daily with users from all business lines, and all levels of seniority to resolve Infrastructure issues, and to provide any necessary support required to the user.
This role is responsible the day to day logistics, IT Service management and operations of the various components and Infrastructure Operations Management of the environment with a primary focus on windows and Linux OS security, OS/application hardening and patch management across various Infrastructure technologies (Server OS (Linux and Wintel), Storage, Backup, Virtualization, vBlock, Citrix (VDI/XenApp/Secure Worx), Core Infra Applications like Messaging, EVault Archiving, Ironport) with good basic understanding of other components like etc Network, Telecom etc. The candidate must be highly motivated and have a proven track record of innovation, vendor oversight and governance, execution, delivery, customer focus, and be highly skilled in IT operations and vulnerability management.
- Providing support for Infrastructure users across multiple geographic regions and the global Infrastructure Operations Support team members.
- This role will be primarily responsible for the installation, configuration, testing, technical support and process enforcement in the day-to-day operations of IT infrastructure systems with regard to patch management process. Govern the adherence to IT Security Policies regarding patch management throughout the enterprise.
- Actively engages in work streams related but not limited to Infrastructure security testing, infrastructure vulnerability scanning, reviewing and prioritizing results, reporting and remediation and/or coordinating the remediation of assessment results
- Run and manage Zero day and other exploit patch management bridges with relevant teams from vendors, InfoRisk and other domains and provide consolidated updates and reports to management and stakeholders.
- Management of MS SCCM Infrastructure & Redhat Satellite for Windows and Linux patching respectively; Strong knowledge of packaging concepts, collection maintenance, reporting services, applying best practices and delivering enterprise patch management as well as application delivery.
- Management of Security Products (Hitachi-ID, CarbonBlack Bit9 Parity, Avecto Defend Point)
- Planning software pushes using approved enterprise patch management software
- Reporting and fix failed patches weekly/monthly. Provide status of software pushes
- Developing checklists, guides, best practices and procedures to support patch management process.
- Stay informed regarding advances in patch management technologies Knowledge of SCCM and Redhat Satellite architecture, configuration and administration
- Assist in the planning and implementation of remote software deployment to customer's desktop computers via SCCM and Satellite deployment services with minimal disruption to the customer
- Lead the IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) vendor operational governance and oversight by leveraging industry best practices to deliver best in quality service.
- Lead the coordination with the vendor partners and Help Desk to establish best practices and improve performance of incident and request handling (queue management, SLO/A review, trend analysis, escalation management etc).
- Ensuring High Availability of Infra Services with Minimal Service Disruption through established Incident and Problem Management processes.
- Acting as a subject matter expert on business processes and systems and interface between all Infrastructure users, Infra and production support and Development teams.
- Implement automation to achieve year on year efficiency by faster fulfilment of requests and improved service restoration during incidents.
- Collaborate with other cross functional teams to ensure ongoing and effective communication with the business and build on relationship management with business groups
- Own and drive the timely delivery of audit deliverables assigned.
- Be a part of the off-hour rotation schedule and support team's Incident Management needs by understanding and enforcing the Major Incident Management process.
The key competencies for this position include:
- BS degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent.
- Graduate degree in Computer Science or related field, or MBA a plus.
- 10+ years of solid, diverse work experience in IT Infrastructure service management including experience in Technology Operations /patch management/vulnerability management/ Infrastructure supporting technology towers like Server OS (Linux and Wintel), Storage, Backup, Virtualization (VMware) etc;
- Strong ITSM knowledge and experience including but not limited to Incident, Change, Request, Problem and Event management and tool experience with Service Now etc;
- At least 5-7 years relevant work experience in a comparable, IT support related role in the financial industry.
- Vendor oversight experience in the management of onshore, near shore and offshore teams is required
- ITIL v3 Foundation certification is required
- Strong skillset with SCCM and Redhat Satellite tool for patch management and package distribution
- Strong understanding of Linux (RHEL/AIX) Operating systems for workstations and servers with good understanding of Wintel OS
- Strong Understanding of I/O workloads, data storage (RAID, SAN, NAS, and Logical Volume Management), and back-up concepts.
- Good understanding of Storage management (SAN, NAS, CIFs).
- Good understanding of various Virtualization technologies and HW technologies like vBlock etc;
- Familiarity with modern server-class hardware including vBlock and Intel platforms.
- Knowledge of Shell scripting (any one of bash, csh, ksh, WMI, PowerShell) or a high-level programming language (Perl, C++, VB/Java scripting) is a big plus.
- Industry Certification in relevant area is a plus.
- Strong customer focus and follow-up skills are necessary.
- Must be well-organized, with superior relationship-building and IT vendor management skills.
- Candidate must be able to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to understand business issues and translate them to IT Operational priorities
- Demonstrated ability to achieve professional goals in a dynamic team environment with overlapping, yet distinct business objectives.
- Excellent communication, organizational, interpersonal, and presentation skills to work effectively with clients, peers, IT management, staff and vendors.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- The ability to stay up to date on trends and developments within the functional area of expertise and the industry.
- Must demonstrate accountability, sound decision making, analytical thoroughness, and the ability to work well with other team members.
- Willingness to work on call and be available during off business hours and weekends to support critical Operational issues
- Willingness to learn, a can-do attitude and motivated to succeed and grow.