AVP Systems Development and Integration
The Assistant Vice President, Systems Development and Integration, supports the Vice President, Information Technology by setting strategic and tactical direction for the company's IT department providing business systems analysis, application development & support, systems integration, testing, systems quality assurance, and maintenance. This includes the conceptualization, planning, evaluation, development, integration, and deployment of application platforms.
- Plans, organizes, leads, controls, and coordinates the provision of services in the assigned systems area(s) of IT application development and systems integration.
- Acts as a primary resource to the business senior management and operational senior management in all matters concerning current systems and future technology resources.
- Collaborates in the evaluation, selection and implementation of major systems, as well as the conversions from existing systems playing a strategic role in identifying technology direction that would enable the business to more effectively achieve business goals; sets, develops and manages applications to a strategic plan.
- Supports all teams responsible for supporting, enhancing, evaluating, implementing and integrating new and existing business applications and IT systems.
- Oversees the operationalizing of new systems into then production environment, including ongoing development & configuration support.
- In coordination with the internal technical architecture team, develops, implements, and monitors application and integration architectural standards and provides technical direction and guidance, including hands-on systems engineering design, to ensure compliance.
- Supports Insurance Systems Modernization (ISM) efforts and implementations. Creates appropriate service centers to support ISM systems upon going live. Oversees & budgets ISM ongoing configuration operational costs.
- Participates in IT management duties such as budget and financial activities; process standards, improvement and monitoring; program and project management; enterprise application portfolio management; vendor management and strategic sourcing; workforce planning; information security; change management; and strategic planning.
- Provides leadership in the integration design and implementation of 3rd party systems and external services.
- Provides the overall direction necessary to ensure the delivery of efficient and effective area services, and collaborates with other IT disciplines to ensure that the necessary changes to the company's IT environment are instituted at an appropriate level of quality, cost and architectural consistency.
- Ensures the creation and enforcement of development best practices and methodologies.
- Assures the development and maintenance of an effective organization for the assigned systems area(s) including a) efficient work flow patterns; b) established performance standards; c) effective delineation of duties and responsibilities; d) suitable staffing levels; 3) appropriate management and supervision; and f) systems for timely communication of pertinent information. - Assures monthly alignment with annual budget though oversight of financial activities - Provides oversight of adherence to IT internal policies and procedures.
- Provides oversight of demand management, business systems release management, and change management activities.
- Supports disaster recovery planning and testing, as well as business continuity planning.
- Coaches and develops staff to maximize individual performance, build future organizational leadership, enhance teamwork and strengthen support of the organization's values, tactics and strategies.
- Performs other duties as assigned Scope of Responsibility The AVP, Systems Development and Integration is responsible for the following areas:
- Business Systems Development & Integration, which includes systems engineering, systems development, as well as supporting third party systems implementation, and systems integration
- Deployment Services, which includes systems deployment (ITIL v3), quality assurance, quality control, and release management. Specifically, this includes all release management activities, including coordination with Insurance Systems Management (ISM) releases. This also includes the creation and operation of support centers (sometimes referred to as Centers of Excellence) for 3rd party configurable systems, such as Customer Communications Management (CCM), Enterprise Content Management (ECM), SharePoint, etc.
- Systems Maintenance, which includes legacy and modernized systems improvement, regulatory and security compliance
- Systems Support, which includes problem management, support of all production business systems (including ISM) and corporate third party systems, systems integration infrastructure, integration Web Services, and applications systems management
- In coordination with the Technical Architecture Team, Applications Architecture, which includes applications lifecycle management, development standards, design patterns, architectural standards, application portfolio management, applications security, applications systems management design, systems integration patterns, and applications business capability mapping
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's preferred in Computer Science or Information Systems or related discipline
- Minimum of 2 years of executive level experience (Director/Officer), systems development executive experience preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of experience managing distributed software development and systems integration teams, Insurance industry experience preferred. Ideal candidate should have experience leading multi-disciplinary teams.
- Program and project management expertise including the ability to concurrently handle multiple simultaneous complex projects
- Excellent problem solving and interpersonal skills
- Must have a desire for achieving excellence in customer satisfaction, process and product quality and reliability
- Motivated to resolve product issues quickly and reliably # Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Thrive on technical challenges and take pride in finding elegant, sustainable solutions; constantly thinking of ways to improve our productivity, reliability, and code base
- Minimum of 12 years of Software Development experience
- Minimum of 8 years of hands-on experience with Microsoft development platforms
- Advanced knowledge of service-oriented architecture (SOA), ESB, and web-based services structures/standards (e.g. EDI, RESTful, SOAP, JSON, etc.). Hands on API and Micro services (REST, SOAP) experience required, minimum 3 years preferred.
- Applicable certifications preferred
- Current knowledge of Azure and/or AWS architecture and implementation # Strong expertise developing with the Microsoft .NET framework, C#, ASP.NET, WebForms and/or ASP.NET MVC # Strong knowledge of OOD principles and Test-Driven Development
- Strong understanding of applications architecture processes, design patterns, and standards
- Experience writing and using unit tests to validate development releases
- Experience in Waterfall, Agile, and blended application development methodologies, including Rapid Prototyping and strong knowledge of all phases of system development life cycle required
- Experience deploying third party solutions
- Strong understanding of and experience in systems integration
- Knowledge of electronic billing and payment processes, disciplines and standards is a strong plus
- Must be available, if required, on a 24-hour on-call basis
- Some travel may be required
Career Track: Information Technology Management Job Family: Information Systems Governance & Application Development Job Level: Executive, Department Head, Multi-disciplinary Teams Functional: Head of Application Development & Support, Head of Systems Integration, Coordinates Divisional Budgeting & Expense Management and IT Systems Governance
*College or university must be sufficiently accredited and listed in the U.S. Department of Education Accreditation Directory.