The Sr. Linux Application Engineer will lead the delivery and operations of critical Positive Train Control (PTC) Linux and system applications environment. Will support the development, configuration and implementation of key PTC applications and infrastructure. The ability to work within a flexible, changing environment is a must as the PTC technology environment is new and evolving. Learning by trial and error, proof of concept, and detailed analysis will be critical to success. Will be required to provide 7 day x 24 hour on-call support on a rotating schedule with the other members of the PTC Applications Engineer team. Requirements:
- Bachelors of Science in Computer Science or Engineering, Other related technical degree in Technology or Science discipline are acceptable.
- Additional 6 years of senior systems administration experience may be substituted for degree requirement.
- 10+ years of Technology related experience - 5+ years of Senior Systems Administration role administering RHEL 6 or above in a clustered configuration
- 3+ years of administering Redhat Clustering with infrastructure spanning datacenters
- 5+ years integrating systems across various platforms
- 3+ years of intermediate level understanding of networks including VLANs and firewalls
- 3+ years of scripting in Python and/or Ruby
- 3+ years of managing and troubleshooting applications, hardware, storage, network and data issues
- 3+ years of maintaining lab environments and supporting testers at various levels including end-users
- 5+ years of maintaining queueing systems like Qpid, RabbitMQ in a development environment
- Railroad Industry definite plus; Railroad Operational Processes as it relates to Locomotive, Signal and Communication processes.
- Good understanding of ITC Messaging and ITC Systems Management - Basic understanding of ITCR and radio communications
- Basic understanding of GPS / NMEA 183
- Previous Positive Train Control (PTC) Experience; Understanding of PTC Back Office and remote components
- Solid understanding of RHEL 6 or above including installation, clustering, imaging, storage and network administration, performance monitoring and tuning, IPtables, SELinux and scripting
- Trace communications and troubleshoot communication and data issues in RHEL and Windows environments
- Identify and implement ways to install/support applications remotely over IP
- Experience with RHEL, Windows and other embedded device integration
- Solid understanding of RHEL Clustering and High Availability Design
- Automating tasks using scripting and automation tools
- Debugging within a complex environment that includes multiple connected devices (i.e. clustered, multi data center, multi vlan, etc). This includes devices outside the datacenter at field locations.
- Network engineering and remote communications (VLANS, traffic optimization, cell, Wi-Fi, RF, etc)
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate cross-functional small work teams toward task completion
- Demonstrated effective analytical and problem solving skills
- Professional written and verbal communication skills within the team environment
- Desire to work in an environment with undefined elements where trial and error is common
- In-depth knowledge of configuration best-practices
- Familiarity with ELK data ingestion and visualizations
- Experience with Incident and Change Management tool
- Diagnose GPS, Time and Radio issues will be preferred
- Encryption protocols (i.e. HMAC, SHA1, AES, block ciphering)
- Advanced Systems/software engineering experience with complex scripting abilities
- PTC hardware platforms for both traditional data center implementation, as well as specialized, embeddedprocessor platforms implemented in rugged field locations at wayside locations and onboard locomotives.
- Understanding GPS technology/NMEA 183
- Basic Database Server understanding
- Implement and support infrastructure that utilizes lab, simulation and field components to provide common application services where needed
- Document procedures and configurations and provide field support for remote devices
- Support device configuration, network setup and testing for remotes
- Development of Script/automate systems management/logging and alerting
- Design, configuration, installation and support for various PTC equipment components from different vendors in various testing environments. Will include both back office datacenter components as well as remote installations at waysides and on locomotives
- Enable an infrastructure to combine labs and create a back office environment to provide common application services where needed
- Maintain the Back Office and field infrastructure through updates and upgrades over the network
- Perform architectural design and implementation based on current and future system requirements.
- Work closely with Data Center Services and Communications to coordinate IT services for PTC environment
- Provide development support to both internal and external development teams with connectivity and access to virtual and physical devices for the different types of equipment
- Collaborate with the systems administration team and Database Administrators to deploy solutions
- Act as liaison on an engineering level between PTC Back Office team and other groups.
location: Kansas City, Missouri
job type: Contract
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.