job summary: Project Overview:
Jigsaw is an incubator within Alphabet that uses technology to address geopolitical issues. The team connects users, experts and engineers to conduct research and seed new technology-driven initiatives. You enjoy working with a diverse, dynamic team that works closely with academic institutions, think-tanks, media outlets, technology firms and others to end censorship, understand and disrupt the radicalization process, and confront illicit networks.
location: New York, New York
job type: Contract
salary: $36.53 - 51.14 per hour
work hours: 9 to 6
responsibilities: Overall Responsibilities:
As a Communications Associate, you are responsible for helping to shape how the Jigsaw team interacts with the world. You?ll be responsible for a wide range of writing and editing tasks in support of the team?s public relations and marketing work. On any given day, you might be asked to write a press release, work to develop key messaging for an upcoming product launch, or draft an early version of an op-ed about topics related to technology and geopolitics. You?ll be expected to deploy your considerable writing talents on tight deadlines. Every day will present new challenges?managing ambiguity is key to success in this role. You should be calm and collected under pressure. The ideal candidate is a world-class multitasker who?s passionate about writing and sharing our team?s work with the world. Top 3 Daily Responsibilities:
1. Support Head of Communications to write press materials including press releases, social media content, ?explainer? pieces, talking points, and op-eds for publication in major media outlets (within a immediate pace, with Brevity and ?Pros?
2. Oversee editing of all published written content from the team quickly
3. Assist in creating strategy for public relations engagement and creating original content to support our team?s products and values that is factual, grounded and relatable
- BA/BS degree liberal arts, journalism, politics, history or related degree
- 1-2 years of experience in corporate communications, journalism, or professional writing/editing
skills: Required Skills/Qualifications:
- Superb written and verbal communication skills; must be able to write well quickly
- Ability to write excellent prose about specific topics on tight deadlines
- Experience in a deadline-driven writing/editing in high pressure fast paced environment
- Knowledge of or experience working in press or media or understanding of how the press works
- Knowledge or in-depth experience in topic areas (politics, civic technology, foreign policy)
- A positive can-do attitude, a self-starter.
- Demonstrated ability to gracefully handle time-sensitive duties.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.