Our client , a rapidly growing, well funded start-up in the media space, is looking for an experienced Devops Engineering Manager who can help build a Devops culture, with infrastructure automation owned by the whole engineering team. They optimize advertising and programming for the TV, Cable and video industries, so the needs around infrastructure are data heavy.
location: New York, New York
job type: Permanent
work hours: 9 to 5
The DevOps Engineering Manager is responsible for developing, supporting and managing the self-service infrastructure which empowers engineering to deploy services more easily. In addition to being a hands on contributor, this role is responsible for setting the technical direction of the team. Along with being a strong technical expert, this role requires a natural leader adept at earning the trust and respect of the team.
- Manage existing Infrastructure
- Implement and maintain infrastructure automation
- Ensure adequate monitoring
- Disseminate skills, best practices, and incident response protocols to the engineering team
- Able to avoid creating technical debt
- Comfortable voicing opinions, and surfacing problems
- Develop people through coaching, mentoring, and management support
- Ensure your team members are happy by providing them with career development guidance as it relates to both hard skills as well as the soft ones. Help them exploit their strengths, handle their weaknesses and make sure they are properly equipped to perform their job the best they can
- Hold regular one on ones, conduct performance evaluations and manage the hiring process as well as other administrative tasks for your team.
- Create a culture on your team where anyone can speak up and share his or her concerns when it's in the interest of the mission
- You and your direct reports hold each other accountable for the commitments you both make
- Grow the technical expertise of your team on performance, scalability and maintainable architecture
- Experience building and scaling production application infrastructure
- Experience with continuous deployment in Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3, etc.) or another IaaS provider
- Comfort with scripting languages like Python, Ruby, etc.
- Experience with:
- Terraform and SaltStack or another automation tool like Chef or Puppet
- Batch workflow orchestration
- Streaming ETL technology
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field (or 4 additional years of relevant work experience)
- 5 years experience working directly on DevOps
- Really understand what's happening inside computers when code is executing or data is moving (for example the dynamic behavior of garbage collectors in practice)
- Comfort with version control systems (e.g. Git, SVN)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; must work well in an agile, collaborative team environment
- Master's in Computer Science or a related field
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.