Sr. Director of User Experience
We are revolutionizing how work gets done by modernizing small businesses through powerful cloud based customizable apps and mobile experiences. Seeking a Senior Director of User Experience to champion our users through every aspect of the product development lifecycle and beyond. As a product-forward company, we focus on our customers and users, and we believe the Senior Director of UX role is essential in meeting our customers needs and expectations, and delighting them with a truly exceptional user experience.
As the Senior Director of User Experience, you will lead a team of UX designers, graphic/visual designers, and user researchers to understand users inside and out, represent their interests during roadmap and prioritization decisions, and develop engineering-ready specifications, such as wireframes, mockups, and other assets as part of an Agile development process. As you continue to build out the team, you will also prioritize and plan the design effort across the team and contribute directly by doing a substantial amount of hands-on design work yourself.
As a critical leadership role within the Product team, this position reports to the Chief Product Officer.
location: Reston, Virginia
job type: Permanent
salary: $140,000 - 160,000 per year
work hours: 8 to 5
- Lead a team of UX designers, UI/graphic designers, and user research to represent end users throughout all aspects of the product development lifecycle
- Research, define, and maintain user personas, user mental models, and design principles, and information architecture
- Develop and maintain a style guide and pattern library to be used by design, prototyping, and front- end engineering functions, co-own and help to maintain brand guidelines with the marketing team
- Directly contribute to design deliverables, operating as an individual contributor when necessary and providing team guidance as needed for projects assigned to other team members
- Deliver all assets necessary to maintain high product development throughput including web, mobile, and desktop mockups, wireframes, and other graphical/visual elements working very closely with product managers
- Through the team, support other functions within the company requiring creative/design expertise, including marketing and professional services
- Plan design work and project manage asset development several iterations ahead, prioritize user research, exploratory design work, validation work, and specification development as needed to meet all development milestones
- Be a thought leader in UX both inside and outside the company, represent the users interests and expectations while contributing to product roadmap and development priority decisions
- Attract, hire, and retain the areas top design talent and provide a creative and collaborative working environment for the team to consistently produce high-quality design deliverables
- 8+ total years of experience in software product design, including 5+ years as a hands-on UX designer
- 3+ years managing a design team working on functional interactive software applications
- Experience working in an agile/lean software development environment
- Bachelor's degree or better from a top university with an educational focus on HCI or similar discipline
- Strong interest in product design, up to speed on latest trends, immersed in industry best practices
- Relentless focus on customers and their desires, thinking, constraints, opportunities, etc.
- Excellent communication skills across all levels of the organization and with end users
- Technical acumen, awareness of front end code capabilities and constraints across all standard form factors
- Value data over opinions, observations over hearsay, validation over assumptions, and actions/change over the status quo
- Ability to make decisions using a combination of quantitative and qualitative data when available, and to rely on acquired design judgment when unavailable
- Extremely high attention to detail in planning, managing, producing, and polishing design deliverables individually and across a team
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.