- Lead the design of a highly performant, available and secure Vertica platform
- Lead strategic initiatives such as Vertica upgrade, node expansion, resource pool tuning, etc
- Profile our Vertica hardware performance to identify bottlenecks in CPU capacity, memory capacity, disk IO capacity and network capacity.
- Configure our Vertica cluster at the hardware, operating system and MPP level for maximum performance
- Lead capacity planning efforts to ensure that our Vertica cluster can handle ETL loads, dashboard loads, and ad-hoc analytics loads
location: Mountain View, California
job type: Contract
salary: $78 - 80 per hour
work hours: 9 to 5
- Work with architects, analysts and cross-functional teams to develop carefully tuned data models and queries
- Work with data engineers and analysts on partitioning, segmentation, partition swapping, and query-tuning
- Define and document appropriate Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
- Develop run books for problem diagnosis, resolution and escalation.
- Automate various RTB jobs using scripts/tools to speed execution on the Vertica platform
- Work with MicroFocus (Vertica) engineering and customer support teams for timely resolution of tickets.
- Develop Vertica monitoring and alerting capabilities, and manage on-call rotation.
- Lead root cause analysis meetings following production incidents.
- BS in Computer Science. MS Preferred.
- Sound knowledge of Vertica Architecture (column orientation, compression, projections, segmentations, partitions, high availability and security).
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of database internals and data structures.
- Hands-on experience with at-least two E2E Vertica Implementations.
- Expertise in installing and maintaining Vertica clusters and implementing backup and recovery processes.
- Experience in performance tuning Vertica which includes creation of projection, partition swapping, managing MergeOut operations, Delete Vectors, etc.
- Experience automating ingestion of data into Vertica from Hive, OLTP sources, and flat files. Experience with Vertica's HDFS connector is a plus.
- Strong SQL skills; experience with other relational databases such as Oracle, MySQL, Postgres is a plus.
- Experience with AWS products including EC2, S3, RDS, ElastiCache, ElasticSearch, Kinesis, Lambda, etc.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.
Qualified applicants in San Francisco with criminal histories will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.