Sr Scala Engineer
The position of a Senior Engineer for our clients Journaling team will play a critical role on one of several teams which are involved with building infrastructure projects and processing real time trade activity for one of the world's largest and most successful financial firms. The Senior engineer will also work on evaluating new technologies, testing new features, supporting changing business needs, and addressing architecture challenges. We frequently evaluate new technologies and try to find the best tools for to resolve our use case.
The work environment is fast-paced and exciting. We believe in our team members and what they can do. Our team members can work as part of a global platform, which is complex, diverse and ever-evolving. We reward hard work and intellectual capability. Our strong sense of team is anchored by mutual respect and support, both given and received. We work hard and take our work seriously. We don't take ourselves seriously.
The firm is in the process of re-inventing its technology infrastructure and moving to a cloud-centric, microservice-oriented, horizontally scalable model. This makes for a unique opportunity to work on a greenfield project using cutting edge software development technologies and methodologies. To this end we are looking for individuals who are accustomed to wearing many hats and who embrace change and innovation.
location: Stamford, Connecticut
job type: Contract
work hours: 9 to 5
· Collaborating as part of a cross-functional Agile team to create and enhance software that enables state of the art, next generation distributed systems which are cloud-based, streaming, reactive, event-driven
· Building microservice-oriented systems
· Developing and deploying distributed and streaming applications using Open Source frameworks such as Kafka, Avro, Akka, Storm, OpenShift, Kubernetes, Docker, and more
· Building solutions with Kappa architecture (Event Sourcing).
· Utilizing programming languages like Scala (preferred) and Java
· Leveraging DevOps techniques and practices like Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment, Test Automation, Build Automation and Test-Driven Development to enable the rapid delivery of working code utilizing tools like Jenkins, Maven, Git and Docker
· Performing unit tests and conducting reviews with other team members to make sure your code is rigorously designed, elegantly coded, and effectively tuned for performance
· Evangelizing technology and architecture patterns among other teams within the firm
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or other technical field or equivalent work experience
· Exceptional verbal and written communication skills in English
· 3+ years of professional work experience in microservice-oriented, distributed systems
· 2+ years of experience with Relational Database Systems and SQL (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL)
· Very significant experience with either Scala, Java ( some Java is fine), C# or any other functional/object-oriented language
· Well versed in object-oriented techniques including inheritance, polymorphism, generics, etc.
· Very good understanding of enterprise architecture patterns
· Extensive hands-on experience solving business problems with software
· Understanding of the challenges of working with distributed and multi-threaded systems along with experience monitoring those systems and troubleshooting problems
· Strong project management and organizational skills
· Teaches others and is open to learning
skills: PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
· Master's Degree
· Stream processing experience
· Kafka experience
· Graph database experience
· 2+ years of Agile engineering experience
· 2+ years of experience with Cloud computing
· A strong sense for API design, data model design, naming, and decomposing monoliths into microservices
· Understanding on how to apply security at the different levels of development stack
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.