job summary: PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT LEAD DESIGNER
Exciting opportunity for a Product Designer with leadership abilities, combined with training and experience in design for sewn products and other textiles, with an emphasis on pattern making.
This work makes lives better by manufacturing products for the medical, fire & safety, industrial, and government defense markets. You can make your career better by joining us!
location: Monticello, Iowa
job type: Permanent
salary: $32,000 - 45,000 per year
work hours: 8 to 5
responsibilities: Position Summary
Oversees and trains Product Development Team Members regarding all policies and procedures to accomplish quality Product Development functions. Here is what you will do...
- Serve as a positive role model consistent with corporate culture at all times.
- Perform all Product Development technicians' functions as needed.
- Provide personal leadership to Product Development team members and provide positive attitude for team involvement.
- Monitor Product Development team members to meet assigned deadlines, perform accurately and efficiently.
- Originate and/or develop designs for products relating to defined customer needs or as possible proprietary items.
- Analyze various design requirements and recommend possible solutions or alternate constructions.
- Stay current on design software and make recommendations on upgrades.
- Work with the Quality Manager to establish test requirements, if not previously specified by the customer and develop and direct the testing of new product prototypes to verify product reliability.
- Maintain internal contact with production personnel regarding ideas, drawings and products as well as external contact with customers and vendors in the development of designs, to resolve problems and to provide prototypes.
- Write detailed instructions to indicate how a product is to be manufactured.
- Use customer's requirements, samples, prints, etc., to estimate a products manufacturing cost. This will include developing equitable standards and working with the excel quote form to achieve raw materials and labor costs.
- Investigate and find solutions to problems.
- Communicate with management and other departments.
- Verify quotations and prototypes for quality requirements of customers.
- Draft, design, and coordinate product tooling.
- Ability and willingness to attend seminars, trade shows and other manufacturing facilities when required.
- Work/train in other areas/departments as business dictates.
- Ability to flex schedule when required.
- Responsible for overall department duties including; training, planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performances, rewarding and disciplining; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
qualifications: POSITION REQUIREMENTS Here are the minimum requirements...
- 4 year degree in textile design, engineering or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Industrial sewing experience or educational equivalent.
skills: Knowledge, skills and abilities we are looking for...
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Problem solving abilities.
- Organized, responsible, punctual, and self-disciplined.
- Knowledge to retrieve information from AS400, Microsoft Outlook and Internet Explorer.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word.
- General knowledge of set up and operation of production equipment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of classified information.
- Ability to communicate with employees and other business contacts in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to find problems, look for cause and effect, and find solution.
- Knowledge of basic math, drafting, or drawing.
- Creative design ability.
- Provide positive attitude for team involvement.
- Skills in operating various office equipment such as calculator, copy machine, facsimile machine and telephone system.
- Knowledge of company policies and procedures.
- Ability to meet deadlines and perform accurately.
- Ability to be self-motivated.
- Ability to provide training for Product Development technicians in all functions of the job.
- Ability to be organized and prepared.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.