The System Engineer provides incident management, problem management, and technical support for the Environment. The System Engineer works closely with customers, external support groups, internal IT teams, and service providers to ensure rapid resolution of incidents. This position reports to the Systems Engineer Manager.
location: Madison, New Jersey
job type: Contract
salary: $40 - 45 per hour
work hours: 9am to 5pm
- Understanding and maintaining the equipment in the NJ facility, escort vendors, install new equipment, and recycle old equipment.
- Manage the data center by ensuring it is organized, clean and secure. Coordinate environmental equipment maintenance with facilities and external vendors, coordinate changes made to the data center with other engineering teams as needed, and maintain an inventory of the equipment.
- Provide Incident support by responding to incidents via system notifications, notifications from the offshore support team and the incident ticketing system
- Provide problem management by taking ownership of repeating incidents, researching root cause and resolving problem.
- Assist with troubleshooting server backup issues
- Rack and build servers
- Build virtual machines in VMWare, Azure and AWS
- Install and configure Microsoft clusters on physical machines, virtual and in the cloud
- Assist with configuring IaaS in cloud providers using JSON scripts or other deployment methods
- Be available for an afterhours on-call rotation
- Participate on projects by attending project meetings and delivering on tasks as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems or related discipline or 4+ equivalent years of experience supporting a large scale, complex, diverse environment.
- Technical knowledge of VMWare, must be able to install and configure ESX hosts and Vcenter
- Technical knowledge of Microsoft Technologies - Microsoft Windows Server, Clustering, AAG Clustering, DFS, Active Directory, DNS, and DHCP
- Technical knowledge of Cisco UCS - be able to configure FIs, IOs, Policies, blades, etc.
- Technical knowledge of HP Blade Centers - configure blades. iLOs
- Technical knowledge of Hardware - racking, cabling, installing RAM, CPU, disks, remote management cards, etc.
- Basic understanding of Storage Area Networks - understand what zoning is, how to determine if the servers can see the disks and on how many paths, etc.
- Basic understand of networks and load balancers
- Will need to lift 45lbs and able to climb ladders
- Strong problem-solving skills, critical thinking, excellent analytical ability, strong judgment and the ability to deliver high performance and high levels of customer satisfaction in a matrix managed environment.
- Technical understanding of Azure and AWS is preferred.
- Technical understanding of CommVault is preferred.
- JSON scripting is preferred
- Understanding of VSTS
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.