Software Engineer Manager
Manager - Software Engineering provides technical leadership and management expertise to MAXIMUS Software development team engaged in the development, integration, and deployment of system solutions in support of Health and Human Service Business Process Outsourcing programs. This role works very closely with all stakeholders, technical and operational staff, in order to meet business objectives. This role is responsible for the delivery of the system solutions and management of a team of 5 to 10 software engineers.
location: Reston, Virginia
job type: Contract
salary: $50 - 55 per hour
work hours: 9am to 5pm
Responsibilities / Tasks:
- Plan the delivery of system solutions which meets the operational requirements by creating and assigning work packages to member of technical staff.
- Manage the engineering teams, activities and outcomes while ensuring optimal resource utilization and engineering outcomes.
- Provide technical subject matter expertise and lead the team to devise the best technical solutions, while encouraging participation and contribution from members of technical staff.
- Participate and represent systems team in meetings with internal and external stakeholders.
- Work on change management process deliverables, such as defect lists, work effort estimates for internal and/or external change requests and any other deliverable as required by PMO.
- Implement the best software engineering practices to elevate the quality of engineering outcomes. Set the stated objective for such improvements and review periodically if objectives are met.
- Perform administrative responsibilities such as hiring, approving timesheets and vacations, performance reviews, plan training to fill skill gaps and quarterly budgeting and forecasting.
- Works very closely with operations team and acquire expert understanding of the business processes and provide thought leadership for automation of the program processes in order to improve efficiency and improve the effectiveness and quality of the services being delivered.
- Plan production support activities such as monitoring system processes, devise methods to work through system exceptions and anomalies, and create processes to monitor and report on the overall system health.
- Create/modify artifacts and deliverables expected from the SDLC and change management process such as project charter, proposed solution documents etc.
- Follow the prescribed SDLC and release management processes by updating the defect/task tracking system with the most up to date information and perform release management activities as described by SDLC process.
Educational Requirements and/or Certifications:
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related field with more than 10 years of relevant experience or Master's Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related field with more than 8 years of relevant experience
Oracle PL/SQL Certified Professional (Preferred)
Pentaho Data Integration implementation (Preferred)
skills: Required Skills and Experience:
- Extensive health care sector experience including solid understanding of EDI standards (such as X12N 834, 837 claims etc), Medicaid enrollment broker business and eligibility determination process.
- Expert understanding of complex concepts of data organization: Expert familiarity with RDBMS.
- Hands-on experience in all phases of ETL Development Life Cycle.
- Strong understanding of SDLC such as Waterfall, AGILE, SCRUM etc.
- Expert knowledge of information systems design principles and current/emerging trends in this field is required.
- Extensive knowledge of most prevalent and trusted technical discussion boards, portals and knowledge sharing internet sites for help with technical challenges.
- Knowledge of policies, standards, procedures, and techniques used for application development is required.
- Strong ability to think logically and structurally, and have attention to detail is required.
- Strong Analytical skills and strong Communications skills, both written (with emphasis on technical documentation) and verbal is required.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in high performing and self-governing teams.
- Ability to work independently on any size project.
- Hands-on Experience in developing complex enterprise solutions and/or system integration to support complex business process and/or implementing leading enterprise solutions and/or developing commercial technology product.
- At least 2 years' experience as technical lead, leading technical teams of 2 to 5 members.
Technical Skills and Desired Proficiency:
- RDBMS (Performance Tuning, Stored Procedures, Triggers) - Expert
- Pentaho Kettle (or relatable ETL Tool) - Expert
- PL/SQL - Expert
- SQL Tools: Oracle SQL Developer, Toad, or PL/SQL Developer - Expert
- Data Modeling - Advanced
- SVN - Advanced
- Build Automation Scripts using ANT - Advanced
- Maven and Gradle - Advanced
Other Desired Skills
- Experience implementing system solutions in the Private health insurance industry.
- Knowledge of policy governing the Health and Human services programs such as Medicaid, CHIP, Long Term Services and Child Support.
- Experience working on state MMIS systems or implementing system solutions to support Integrated Eligibility (Medicaid. CHIP, TANF, SNAP, LTSS)
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.