Business Intelligence Developer
The Business Intelligence (BI) Developer is a member of a cross-functional team where teamwork, collaboration, challenges and continuous learning are the norm.
BI Developers create analytics content including reports, extracts, data visualizations and data views based on specifications created by Business Analysts. BI Developers utilize our client's data repositories, warehouses and supporting applications.
This position will interact with multiple disciplines including, but not limited to Clinical and Operational stakeholders to ensure reporting needs are met. Primary responsibilities include development and maintenance of enterprise analytic reporting solutions, adherence to change management and control, development of approved ad hoc service requests, process documentation for build and testing, and additional projects and requests to perform analysis and programming addressing challenging tasks assigned as needed.
Position works under the direction of ISD Reporting and Analytics Management and in collaboration with Business Analysts, Project Managers, application team members, and operational partners.
Conforms to established guidelines, standards, and conventions for request tracking and status, report writing, dashboard design and documentation. Position requires successfully achieving and maintaining Epic certifications in Clarity clinical and access data models, and domain-specific Epic application(s).
location: Rochester, New York
job type: Permanent
salary: $52,000 - 62,000 per year
work hours: 8 to 5
o Understanding and learning EMR workflows to translate between the transactional system and the data repository
o Meeting with business analysts, application team members and report requesters to understand their data needs
o Assessing and estimating requests to determine scope and effort required
o Obtaining and maintaining Clarity Data Model and/or reporting tools certifications or training as needed and/or maintain current knowledge via self-study for reporting tools and reporting programming techniques
o Distributing Clarity reports to report consumers using Epic-Crystal integration and/or SSRS
o Identifying and reviewing the appropriate technological solutions for various reporting needs
o Using and refining business requirements related to reporting applications support for the eco-system of applications
o Reviewing upgrade documentation related to Clarity features and released Crystal reporting content, and determining how to implement the changes
o Creating reports using writing tools to display Clarity data
o Modifying existing reports, as necessary
o Writing SQL for custom SQL metrics and stored procedures
o Utilizing function calls, SQL stored procedures, multiple table joins, nested select statements and various SQL programming techniques to extract, structure and present data
o Building data cubes and extracts
o Building data visualizations using SlicerDicer, Spotfire, and/or Tableau
o Developing complex logic for reports and data analysis using advanced functionality within Microsoft SQL tools (SSRS/T-SQL), Crystal Reports, Epic Systems reporting tools and/or Tableau or other reporting applications
o Reviewing peer reports for validity
o Testing report build in a specified testing environment and volume testing in live environments
o Performing proper testing and validation techniques to insure accuracy and integrity of reported or extracted data and document the unit test and validation processes used
o Supporting the maintenance of existing reports and data sets for interim system updates and major system releases while contributing to maintaining the report inventory
o Managing multiple requests and/or components of larger projects with appropriate documentation and status reports
o Providing on call support as needed for business continuity and operations
o Responding promptly to all problems keeping in mind the computing environment supports a user community that requires access to critical patient care and business information 24 hours a day / 7 days a week
· Bachelor's degree in a related discipline such as Computer Science, Information Systems, Business, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Science or Engineering and 3 years of related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Proficiency with SQL and relational database concepts
· Proficiency and demonstrated experience with report writing tools
· Ability to gain familiarity with Epic applications and database structure through formal training and/or self-study
skills: Preferred Qualifications
· Master's degree
· 5 years relevant work experience
· 3 years of report development experience (Crystal Reports preferred)
· Familiarity with Microsoft SQL Management Studio
· Proven ability to work professionally and progressively in a matrix organization
· Proven business process design and development skills
· Proven analytical and problem solving skills
· Proven customer service orientation and excellent communication skills
· Proven ability to work under pressure in a fast paced environment
· Prior experience working with an healthcare information systems
· Experience with Epic Systems Clarity and Caboodle data models
· Ability and initiative to learn new technologies
· Possess ability to analyze workflow and process build and changes and utilize technology to perform complex data analysis
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.