job summary: POSITION:
News Product Experience Specialist, Google News DESCRIPTION:
- Google News seeks to give every user the information they need and want to know - from critical news stories to deep interests.
- As a News Product Experience Specialist on Google News, focusing on the US and North American region, you help make sure that our product meets and exceeds our audience's needs and expectations, including quality, relevance, context, and timing.
- You produce informative, accurate, and lively experiences, often at a moment's notice.
- The role demands discipline, hard work, and quick action. In return, you'll receive enormous satisfaction as a contributor to a high-impact team that provides a critically important service to millions of users.
- This is a 12-month contract position with a possibility of renewal (evaluation to be made at that time).
- Candidate must already be authorized to work in the US for at least 12 months at the time of applying.
- The role is based in our Cambridge, MA office. We do not pay relocation costs.
location: Cambridge, Massachusetts
job type: Contract
salary: $36.67 - 40.49 per hour
work hours: 9am to 6pm
- Transform stories and topics into meaningful user-facing features
- Promote Google News' features, catalog, and content through engaging social media posts
- Help maintain a detailed, comprehensive story calendar
- Identify new content sources to expand & strengthen Google News' catalog across multiple genres and regions; contribute to source promotion efforts within the app
- Use data-driven analysis to measure the success and impact of our team's work
- Help evolve manual workflows into automated, scalable processes
B.A./B.S. required; M.A. in Journalism/Communications preferred
skills: Skill/Experience/Education Mandatory
- Fluency in English is required; additional language fluency is a significant plus.
- B.A./B.S. required; M.A. in Journalism/Communications preferred
- 1-3; years working in a full-time media capacity: reporter, editor, producer, copyeditor, or social media editor
- Experience managing a news organization and/or brand's social media presence
- Proficiency with professional grade publishing/design tools, publisher front-ends, and CMS's
- A demonstrated ability to jump into complex workflows and improve them steadily over time
- Deadline driven, including a willingness to adapt hours when necessary to cover important events & stories
- A rock-solid understanding of ethical questions that surround news distribution
- Spanish or French language fluency desired. An obsessive news consumer across all media, including social, legacy media (print & broadcast) as well as online
- Mindful of what makes great user experiences, from catchy copy to engaging images, GIFs, & videos
- Experience in content or social media marketing
- A proven knack for multitasking, communicating with a global team, and maintaining shared tools & resources
- An incredible collaborator who takes fast, critical feedback in stride and steadily improves week after week
- Passionate about a dozen (or more!) cultural phenomena: favorite bands, authors, niche movie categories, emerging trends, and more.
- Adept at switching context from broad, generalist topics to very narrow interests and back again
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.