Sr. SAS Developer
The Data Specialist/SAS Programmer II works in conjunction with the research team to manage all aspects of data manipulation, ensuring data quality and maintaining data integrity for one or more complex studies through the use of high level SAS programming. The Data Specialist/SAS Programmer II is responsible for mentoring inexperienced data specialists or data specialists who are new to the Institute for Health Research (IHR).
location: Aurora, Colorado
job type: Contract
salary: $45.35 - 51.02 per hour
work hours: 8am to 5pm
- May facilitate the training of new staff.
- Must have independent thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Responsible for complying with job-specific guidelines pertaining to functions including data use, transfer, and archiving.
- Maintains knowledge of policies and procedures and performs in accordance with the Principles of Responsibilities and applicable regulatory requirements, external laws and accreditation standards.
- Appropriately reports observed fraud or abuse.
- Develops solutions to a variety of problems of moderate scope and complexity, using judgment within defined policies and procedures; assesses information to identify the best solution from existing alternatives; exercises judgment to make decisions for less defined issues and selects methods and techniques for making decisions; works under limited direction and plans own activities to accomplish objectives; may influence others regarding existing concepts, processes and/or methodology; may have formal or informal leadership responsibilities; and provides informal work guidance or training to less-experienced team members.
- Participates in or leads the data development of multi-site projects by writing/testing/running efficient code for multiple research sites. Independently plans and carries out data management activities (e.g., data cleaning/quality assurance, data documentation, analytic data set creation).
- Operationalizes research protocols.
- Participates in multi-site projects by testing/running SAS code distributed by programmers at multiple sites.
- Identifies and resolves complex problems using interactive problem solving and troubleshooting techniques.
- Develops QA programs to identify any issues in the data.
- Partners with members of the team to resolve data issues.
- Notifies appropriate company departments of issues discovered in the data so that the issues can be resolved in the source data.
- Extracts data from multiple sources within the company and develops a thorough understanding of the data elements to be used for a study. Communicates issues around the data elements and propose alternatives to make the data as complete and accurate as possible.
- Independently authors programs to efficiently extract data from source systems using a variety of SAS tools, such as macros, SQL.
- Develops a structure in the data tables to accommodate the large volume of data used for studies that span multiple years and multiple data source systems within the company.
- Provides data for study development or manuscript preparation.
- Demonstrated expertise in relational database structures, research methods, sampling techniques, and system testing.
- Develops or enhances programs to automate recurring tasks, such as VDW data updates, registry updates, and health surveillance studies, employing tools to increase efficiencies.
- Leads the development of registries/databases, including base definition, structure, documentation, long-range requirements, operational guidelines, and protection.
- Ensures accuracy and completeness of data in master files and various support tools, such as data dictionaries to be used by the research team, to conduct federally funded research.
- Coordinates data transfers and data reconciliation.
- Complies with IRB approved protocols, Business Associate Agreements, and Data Use Agreements to transfer data between agencies.
- Develops and employs data management best practices in a standardized, transparent, and efficient manner.
- Assumes responsibility as a partner for the planning, resourcing, and execution of relevant internal and external data management activities to obtain clean databases within a specified timeframe.
- Openly reviews code with team members to ensure high quality results and share techniques employed.
- Develops knowledge and professional skills through continuing education, cross training, literature, and attendance at departmental meetings.
- Takes an active role in the department by contributing content and sharing knowledge in 1:1 and group settings.
- May serve as a subject matter expert for a data content area.
- May have limited role with external organizations (e.g., DSUG, VDW Workgroup).
- Under the scientific direction of a PI, assists with proposal development.
- Assists with data interpretation, preparation of technical reports, manuscripts, posters, presentations.
- Adheres to federal and local regulations and the company's Standard Operating Procedures governing research.
- Maintains compliance when manipulating large volumes of patient data, both internal to the company and from external agencies.
- Follows the IRB approved protocols on federally funded grants as well as on internally funded projects.
- Adheres to the research protocols for maintaining HIPAA compliance when accessing, manipulating, storing, and transferring data.
- Partners with Investigators to adhere to the research requirements outlined in the study protocol and data use agreements report all violation/deviations immediately to the Investigator and IRB.
Need to know programming in SAS and the SAS Macro language in Unix/Window/Mainframe environment; SAS Enterprise Business Intelligence Solution design and development of reports; Knowledge in Enterprise Guide, Data Integration Studio and, metadata security; Proficiency in SQL and Oracle/DB2 databases, analytical skills and technical knowledge required in one or more higher level programming languages.
Familiarity with health care data- example areas include:
- Working with Clinical data. For example: vitals, diagnoses, procedures, pharmacy, laboratory
- Collecting/extracting data from an Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system or a database with EMR data
- Medical Claims data
- Public health data o Medicare/Medicaid data
Show experience with:
- Data quality
- Data cleansing
- Data improvement projects
Experience with operationalization of research protocols:
- Identify required data elements and their sources
- Design and build data structures
- Write code to efficiently build data
Experience with large projects - key words/phrases/concepts
- large or geographically distributed teams
- multi-site projects o longitudinal research
- prospective research
Experience working on projects that adhere to rules governing research:
- HIPPA - Health Information Privacy and Portability Act
- IRB - Institutional Review Board o PHI - Personal Health Information
- PII - Personally identifiable information
- Data security
- SAS programming experience
- 5 years minimum o Documenting SAS programs
- Optimizing SAS code to run efficiently
- Skilled at merging data from disparate sources.
- SQL (Structured Query Language) programming in Oracle
- SAS programming experience combining different types of data.
- Skilled at data profiling and assessing data quality.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills- key words/phrases/concepts o Partnership with multidisciplinary teams
- Collaboration with stakeholder/investigator
- Ability to explain data and concepts
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.