Randstad Technologies is currently seeking a talented Data Specialist/SAS Programmer to join a well-known client of ours within a location in the Aurora, CO area.
The Data Specialist/SAS Programmer II works in conjunction with the research team to manage all aspects of data manipulation, ensuring data quality and maintaining data integrity for one or more complex studies through the use of high level SAS programming. The Data Specialist/SAS Programmer II is responsible for mentoring inexperienced data specialists or data specialists who are new to the Institute for Health Research (IHR).
Under general supervision, assists with strategic data-related decisions by analyzing, manipulating, tracking, internally managing and reporting data. This position functions both as a senior consultant and analyst and as a high-level SAS programmer. Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.
location: Aurora, Colorado
job type: Contract
salary: $34.69 - 39.03 per hour
work hours: 8am to 5pm
- May facilitate the training of new staff.
- Must have independent thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Responsible for complying with job-specific guidelines pertaining to functions including data use, transfer, and archiving.
- Maintains knowledge of policies and procedures and performs in accordance with the Principles of Responsibilities and applicable regulatory requirements, external laws and accreditation standards.
- Appropriately reports observed fraud or abuse.
- Develops solutions to a variety of problems of moderate scope and complexity, using judgment within defined policies and procedures; assesses information to identify the best solution from existing alternatives; exercises judgment to make decisions for less defined issues and selects methods and techniques for making decisions; works under limited direction and plans own activities to accomplish objectives; may influence others regarding existing concepts, processes and/or methodology; may have formal or informal leadership responsibilities; and provides informal work guidance or training to less-experienced team members.
- Participates in or leads the data development of multi-site projects by writing/testing/running efficient code for multiple research sites. Independently plans and carries out data management activities (e.g., data cleaning/quality assurance, data documentation, analytic data set creation).
- Operationalizes research protocols.
- Participates in multi-site projects by testing/running SAS code distributed by programmers at multiple sites.
- Identifies and resolves complex problems using interactive problem solving and troubleshooting techniques.
- Develops QA programs to identify any issues in the data.
- Partners with members of the team to resolve data issues.
- Notifies appropriate company departments of issues discovered in the data so that the issues can be resolved in the source data.
- Extracts data from multiple sources within the company and develops a thorough understanding of the data elements to be used for a study. Communicates issues around the data elements and propose alternatives to make the data as complete and accurate as possible.
- Independently authors programs to efficiently extract data from source systems using a variety of SAS tools, such as macros, SQL.
- Develops a structure in the data tables to accommodate the large volume of data used for studies that span multiple years and multiple data source systems within the company.
- Provides data for study development or manuscript preparation.
- Demonstrated expertise in relational database structures, research methods, sampling techniques, and system testing.
- Develops or enhances programs to automate recurring tasks, such as VDW data updates, registry updates, and health surveillance studies, employing tools to increase efficiencies.
- Leads the development of registries/databases, including base definition, structure, documentation, long-range requirements, operational guidelines, and protection.
- Ensures accuracy and completeness of data in master files and various support tools, such as data dictionaries to be used by the research team, to conduct federally funded research.
- Coordinates data transfers and data reconciliation.
- Complies with IRB approved protocols, Business Associate Agreements, and Data Use Agreements to transfer data between agencies.
- Develops and employs data management best practices in a standardized, transparent, and efficient manner.
- Assumes responsibility as a partner for the planning, resourcing, and execution of relevant internal and external data management activities to obtain clean databases within a specified timeframe.
- Openly reviews code with team members to ensure high quality results and share techniques employed.
- Develops knowledge and professional skills through continuing education, cross training, literature, and attendance at departmental meetings.
- Takes an active role in the department by contributing content and sharing knowledge in 1:1 and group settings.
- May serve as a subject matter expert for a data content area.
- May have limited role with external organizations (e.g., DSUG, VDW Workgroup).
- Under the scientific direction of a PI, assists with proposal development.
- Assists with data interpretation, preparation of technical reports, manuscripts, posters, presentations.
- Adheres to federal and local regulations and the company's Standard Operating Procedures governing research.
- Maintains compliance when manipulating large volumes of patient data, both internal to the company and from external agencies.
- Follows the IRB approved protocols on federally funded grants as well as on internally funded projects.
- Adheres to the research protocols for maintaining HIPAA compliance when accessing, manipulating, storing, and transferring data.
- Partners with Investigators to adhere to the research requirements outlined in the study protocol and data use agreements report all violation/deviations immediately to the Investigator and IRB.
- Designs and enhances databases. Designs menu systems that are effective and user-friendly. Develops reports with accurate, easy to read, useful information. Designs and generates tracking and monitoring tools.
- Participates in the development of outcomes and process measures, including technical specifications, to enable population measurement, guideline implementation, and evaluation.
- Tests complex statistical SAS routines using macros, vendor software, and software written by self and others. Tests and maintains data integrity. May assist with sophisticated statistical models and forecasting tools using these databases.
- Assists with the definition of complex multi-dimensional healthcare issues and develops time tables/processes for decision making. May translate needs, issues, and ideas into effective strategies and action plans. May formulate specific implementation plans and evaluates the effectiveness of actions/programs implemented. Develops creative alternative solutions.
- May assist in the determination of goals and priorities with team, clients, or project management sponsors. May develop novel applications of statistical analyses from other fields to understand increasingly complex relationships between processes and outcomes, including in time series designs.
- May communicate results/recommendations to project sponsors, clients, and various senior level audiences
- 5-10 years programming in SAS required. Experience with SQL, macros, AF, and SASGRAPH, PROC Report and statistical procedures in SAS preferred.
- Experience with analytical manipulation and interpretation of large databases required.
- 5-10 years of related analytical consulting experience, healthcare experience preferred. Broad familiarity with medical practices, especially population management and process and outcomes measurement. Experience with mental health and chemical dependency care paths, operations, process and outcomes data preferred. Project management experience preferred.
- Experience with MVS/TSO operating systems preferred; if not, experience with another mainframe operating system required. Knowledge of JCL strongly preferred. Microsoft Office skills required.
- Strong analytic and critical thinking skills, writing skills, communication skills, consulting skills, and ability to work within a team. Ability to express complex analytical and technical information to senior management or to audiences with clinical training. Must be an independent self-starter. History of peer reviewed publications and successful grant applications preferred.
Bachelor's degree in economics, finance, health care administration, public health administration, statistics, mathematics, operations research, or related field required required.
Minimum five (5) years of SAS programming experience, with a minimum three (3) years of experience in a health care or research setting.
skills: Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.