Do you want to be part of a team that's creating the next generation of home safety? At First Alert/BRK Brands, a division of Newell Brands, we don't reinvent things - we pioneer. We offer the experience and knowledge of 60 years of category leadership, while operating with the open, ideas-driven culture of a startup. With a smart leadership team that invests time and resources in developing creative solutions to today's consumer needs, we look to all levels of our staff to contribute to our legacy of innovation.
We have a history of being on the forefront of new trends and technologies - starting with designing the first smoke alarms for residential and commercial use. Today we are forging new paths, launching IoT products under our Onelink portfolio that make the world think differently about smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. How can you contribute to the next innovation from America's most trusted safety brand?
New Product Development - Cloud Development team is looking for a highly motivated, hands on Senior Software Engineer to build the next generation of connected smart home products. You will be part of collaborative engineering team developing and continuously improving our Cloud implementation for connected products. The nature of the position requires the candidate to have excellent communication skills, strong technical and debugging skills, along with a drive to make a difference.
location: Aurora, Illinois
job type: Permanent
work hours: 9 to 5
- Responsible to develop and maintain cloud service for connected IoT devices
- Designs, troubleshoots and refines system on a continuous basis. Is hands-on, dives deep as need arises. Enables continuous integration/testing/deployment
- Maintains alignment with architect and other engineering leaders.
- Closely interacts with Architects, test teams, customer support teams.
- Keeps an eye on fragile areas, and strives for robustness of software and product. Is excited about problem solving
- Zealous about high quality, high interaction consumer product.
- Advocate for the end user
- Self-motivated and obsessively passionate and inquisitive, and seek to solve everyday problems in innovative ways.
- Highly focused, with the ability to deliver solid work on tight schedules.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Excellent analytical, programming and debugging skills.
- Ability to ramp up quickly on both new technologies and existing technologies.
- Travel required: up to 10% domestic.
- 5+ years software development experience with commercial Cloud deployments supporting connected products for high volume, high quality consumer electronics market. Track record of designing, developing, and deploying consumer-facing Cloud implementations is a must.
- Deep understanding of software engineering principles and strong software architecture. IOT, distributed systems experience a plus.
- Must have mastery of Linux,Git, Erlang/Elixir, Python, Salt-Stack
- Must have mastery of AWS Services (EC2/VPC/RDS/SNS/IAM) with a minimum of 1 production cloud system delivered to production within the last 5 years (examples required).
- Open-source contributions available online for review. Mastery of C/C++, ]AWS IoT Services and experience with Jira/Confluence or similar Agile tools are desirable skills
- Experience with Redis, Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL, Phoenix Framework (for Elixir), MessagePack, asymmetric cryptography, symmetric cryptography, Jenkins is preferred
- BS degree in Computer Science, or equivalent.
- Must be able to demonstrate mastery of Linux, Git, Erlang/Elixir
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.