Our media client in downtown Washington, DC is looking for a strong backend developer to join their team. This will be part of our client's Technology & Product (T&P) organization and serves the larger company with advanced NLP technologies for searching and discovering any type of content in the entertainment catalog available.
This team will need an engineer that is familiar with scalability principles and micro-services. We will be handling voice requests of millions of customers and have created a platform that operates reliably and efficiently with the latest at-scale technologies.
You will work with other engineers and researchers with backgrounds in advanced fields such as natural language processing, information retrieval, and knowledge representation. As a key member of the team, you will help define, refine, and test state of the art algorithms, and scale the associated systems for high performance, stability, and availability.
location: Washington, Washington, D.C.
job type: Contract
salary: $55 - 65 per hour
work hours: 9am to 5pm
- Writing production-quality, tested code.
- Understanding the code base for your components in depth.
- Producing technical designs and documentation at varying levels of granularity
- Collaborating with our quality assurance and technical operations teams to provide outstanding customer service.
- Participating in code reviews and helping the team to be effective and agile.
- Staying educated on technical developments and tools necessary for the design and maintenance of complex, distributed platforms.
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical field.
- 2+ years of relevant work experience, including extensive programming experience and strong object-oriented skills including Java server-side development.
- In-depth knowledge of WebSockets and experience in writing code for WS and WSS and HTTP protocols.
- Experience in writing code using multithreading.
- Experience in Springboot is a plus.
- Experience in building Caching systems is a plus.
- Experience with high-scale, distributed web service development (hands-on experience with RESTful web services).
- Experience as part of a team doing state-of-the art, object-oriented software development including continuous integration, test-driven-development, automated unit and integration testing.
- Knowledge of major open frameworks and platforms including Spring and Docker.
- Experience with versioning tools. GIT a plus.
- Experience with Jenkins for continuous integration
- Knowledge of Docker Swarm and/or Kubernetes. Deployment orchestration tools.
- Must demonstrate an understanding of software design patterns and the practical application of those patterns.
- Experience provisioning and managing applications in both virtual and cloud infrastructures (AWS preferred).
- Experience with AWS Lambda, Kinesis, DynamoDB.
- Experience developing service oriented architectures and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability.
- Experience with Agile development methodologies and practices.
- UNIX/Linux background: facility with command-line utilities; familiarity with system administration tools and concepts.
- Familiarity with distributed systems and micro-services a plus.
- Experience with various data interchange and representation formats such as JSON, XML.
- Strong initiative: must be able to take high-level requirements, ask questions and get clarifications, decompose into deliverable software components, design and implement solution to meet functional, performance, and quality acceptance criteria.
- Excellent communication: must be a good listener, willing to ask questions, and able to clearly communicate ideas with team members and external groups.
- Nice to have: Proficient in any of these languages: Spanish, French, German, Italian
skills: Strong communicator
This is a backend developer.
Please focus on Web Service, MVC, Springboot and WebSocket.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.