The Senior/Principal Application Engineer will apply Guidewire technical knowledge/capabilities to create technical designs and specifications, based upon business requirements and technical specifications. The Senior Application Engineer ensures thorough unit testing of all new software applications and enhancements to existing software applications. Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to the following:
location: Worcester, Massachusetts
job type: Contract
salary: $60 - 80 per hour
work hours: 9am to 5pm
- Partnering with architecture and senior technical leadership contributes to and may own technical design and specifications, writes code, and assists in development of new applications and products and enhancements to existing applications and products.
- Performs thorough unit testing to verify the accuracy and quality of all software developed. This may include preparation of sample test data, execution of programs and job streams, and system integration testing. Supports Quality Assurance and Business testing.
- Designs or modifies applications to accomplish functions in compliance with the Software Development Life Cycle framework.
- Performs all software development functions to accomplish specific application solution requirements.
- Solid understanding of software development life cycle processes including requirements gathering, analysis and design, development tools and technologies, release and version control, testing methodologies and deployment management.
- Identifies risks and options and makes recommendations.
- Leads and supports setup of multiple test environments.
- Leads best practices in source code management software use.
- Supports, troubleshoots and debugs coding defects identified during quality assurance and business partner validation.
- Adheres to all quality standards and procedures.
- Collaborates with project team members, including external and offshore partners, during development process. Provides or supports training and documentation.
- Supports preparation and implementation of software releases into the production environment.
- Contributes to project planning, design, and estimating activities.
- Stays current and builds knowledge of multiple programming languages and related development tools. Applies this knowledge to effective business solutioning.
- Provides timely and accurate project status reporting. Proactively identifies risks and challenges.
- Builds knowledge of P&C insurance concepts and Hanover application systems.
qualifications: Position Requirements:
- 3 - 4 years' experience in Guidewire development as a lead software engineer and/or as a technical lead
- 3- 4 years' experience in JAVA development
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Ability to analyze and creatively solve problems
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a multi-priority environment with demanding timelines
- Execution of well-defined project tasks
- Strong and effective communication, organization, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to pay attention to minute detail and quality
- Initiative, adaptability, and willingness to learn
- Strong problem-solving skills
skills: Knowledge and experience with several of the following technologies:
- Java Script
- XSD Schema
- Web Services/REST Service (optional)
- Tomcat/ Websphere
- J2EE technologies
- Eclipse/RAD (optional)
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.