Responsible for support, troubleshooting and installation/deployment of UNIX-based systems, including, but not limited to, hardware and software installation and upgrades. Assists and instructs regional IS personnel to perform operating system updates, patching, installing and troubleshooting.
location: Seattle, Washington
job type: Permanent
salary: $140,000 - 160,000 per year
work hours: 9am to 5pm
education: No Degree Required
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Diagnose and isolate operating system, server-side networking, and application related problems. Utilize available resources (IS colleagues, Oracle Support Center) to correct or create suitable work-around. Provide documentation and training for all testing and troubleshooting procedures that are repeatable.
Maintain and enhance existing systems administrator tools, and develop new tools, using available programming and scripting languages, shells scripts, Python and Perl, automating repetitive tasks where possible.
Perform system builds and hardware upgrades for both corporate and branch UNIX servers as well as hardware maintenance and repairs/replacements.
Provide helpdesk ticketing and emergency support. Assist with UNIX problem diagnostics, system recovery and disk recovery. Provides second-level production support for servers and data storage including after-hours on-call support.
Provide system backup support to branch and CHQ support teams including user menus, scripts, backup software and web-based monitoring tools.
Research and review industry's latest solutions in various technology spaces (Virtualization, Storage, Backup Strategies, etc.) and provide recommendations to continuously improve performance.
Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 6+ years of RedHat / Solaris systems administration
- Extensive programming language experience (Perl, Shell, Python); experience with Ansible a plus
- Experience with Solaris Zones
- Expertise configuring and supporting Sun Volume Manager, Veritas Storage Foundation and ZFS
- Experience using fiber attached storage in both SAN and point-to-point environments
- Practiced in designing and implementing business continuity / disaster recovery and high availability plans
- Knowledge of backup strategies and products. CommVault Simpana experience a plus
- Knowledge of Virtualization, DTrace and system automation
- Good troubleshooting aptitude
skills: ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Benefits:
Our client offers competitive benefits to all full time employees including:
- Paid Vacation, Holiday, Sick Time
- Health Plan: Medical, Prescription Drug, Dental and Vision
- Life and Long Term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan (US only)
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Training and Personnel Development Program
- Position is full time. 40 hour work week, Monday - Friday.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.