job summary: Open Locations:
New York, NY
Seattle, WA Duration:
Contract to Hire Internal Notes:
- As always, our preference is for candidates who specifically have experience with voice user interface design. Bilingual English/Spanish candidates are a plus - but the focus should be on (North American) English conversational interaction design and dialog expertise
- This is not a web designer UI/UX role. It's Voice UI (User Interface). Candidates need a background in linguistics, language, voice software design, and an understanding of the customer experience from a Voice standpoint (ie - Siri, Alexa, automated call response, etc). These are likely contract to hire and they're open to junior or senior level candidates.
- Candidates are preferred in the New York City location, but can also work out of Mahwah, NJ, Burlington, MA, or Seattle, WA. Hiring manager sits in NY.
At our client, one of the key focuses is to develop the most human, natural, and intuitive ways to use your voice to take command of information. Our people and our technology have pioneered the highest functioning speech software in the world, ceaselessly perfecting the ability for machines to recognize and emulate the human voice. We design and deliver technologies that intuitively link man, machine, and the global storehouse of knowledge to help companies and consumers work seamlessly and intelligently with the world. Position Summary
As a Voice User Interface Designer, you will be designing the caller interaction for speech-enabled applications. You will work on a multidisciplinary team of colleagues and domain experts to discover user requirements, and to match those needs against customer goals. Among other activities, you will validate functionality choices; design intuitive and adaptive call flows; write natural, conversational, and personalized dialog; anticipate user responses; define grammars; and direct voice talents in the recording studio. You'll perform Usability Testing with consumers to further refine functionality and design choices.
As a Voice UI Designer
, you will need to learn about caller populations and work effectively with customers on each engagement, while simultaneously working toward the customer's financial goals and remaining the authority on best practices in user-centered design. Your successes will be measured by a combination of business targets you reach or surpass; your relationships with customers, partners, and the team; and the positive impression your designs leave in the minds of callers.
location: New York, New York
job type: Contract
salary: $35 - 60 per hour
work hours: 8 to 5
responsibilities: Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Discover and analyze requirements from both the customer's and the user's perspective. Be THE advocate for the user amid shifting and often unclear business requirements.
- Create effective speech user interface designs, including call flows, dialogs, functional logic, and prompts to match the established system persona.
- Create effective UX designs including speech interaction flows; functional logic; and both verbal and non-verbal auditory cues to match the established requirements.
- Assist in implementing these designs, interacting with developers, directing voice talents, and performing usability tests.
- Analyze performance of the user interface in the field with regard to performance metrics and caller experience, and recommend specific changes to improve caller satisfaction and transaction completion.
- Use your experience on your specific projects to augment our evolving body of best practices.
- Represent our UI approach and philosophy to top Fortune 100 companies.
- Design alternative solutions, evaluating them to choose the best approach. Meet and collaborate with customers, users, and development partners to validate conceptual designs.
- Approach design problems with a user-centered design methodology.
- Compose user flows, story maps, and highly detailed artifacts using text, diagrams, illustrations, and/or prototypes to outline product, feature, and function specifications as required to best support the Agile Software Development Lifecycle.
- Support ad hoc project requests that may be unrelated to customer requirements or product knowledge (e.g., the preparation of workshop packages, demos, and conceptual mock-ups)
- Facilitate presentations and discussions with customers, users, and developers to drive resolution on proposed features and functionality.
- Maintain familiarity with other company products and competitive products to ensure thought and design leadership.
qualifications: Number of Years of Work Experience:
Minimum 0-3 years of relevant experience Education:
At least a BA / BS or equivalent experience in human factors engineering, product interface design, linguistics, cognitive science, experimental psychology, technical writing, or a related field Required Skills:
- Experience with Speech / Voice User Interface / Natural Language Voice User Interface design is a plus?
- Creativity, strong logic skills, and the ability to work in a dynamic, challenging, and consultative environment
- Native-level English fluency
- Strong Microsoft Windows skills, including MS Office
- Strong communication skills and the ability to develop and confidently deliver polished presentations to customers and internal teams
- Availability to travel on-site with customers up to 15%
skills: Preferred Skills:
- Speech recognition software and/or telephony experience
- Experience with Speech / Voice User Interface / Natural Language Voice User Interface design is a plus
- Demonstrable audio engineering experience
- Professional writing experience
- Project Management experience
- Experience working in a recording studio, as or with a professional Voice Talent
- Experience creating UI/UX for iPhone and Android and an understanding of mobile design patterns and their application when creating UI task flows and artifacts
- Basic understanding of a programming language (e.g., Perl, Python, or Java).
- Adobe Illustrator / Photoshop or equivalent vector-editing experience
- Near-native command of a second language (Spanish preferred)
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.