This role is an individual contributor with responsibility for leading cross-functional and matrixed teams comprising employees, service providers and vendors as well as expert hands-on network skills combined with the ability to work with/through service providers, prioritize, and communicate. The successful candidate will be expected to work very closely with the various business units and collaborating with geographically dispersed teams.
The successful candidate is a well-rounded Network Engineer with extensive experience across a diverse range of network hardware and software, protocols and routing.
location: Boston, Massachusetts
job type: Permanent
salary: $100,000 - 120,000 per year
work hours: 9am to 5pm
- Translate business needs into technical actions and plans, manage technology lifecycles, and produce architectures, engineering plans, and roadmaps for data network solutions.
- Provide technical direction and requirements to Bell, IBM, CGI, Verizon, AT&T and other service providers to ensure optimum delivery of committed service levels are being provided.
- Lead, design, review/validate, and execute on solutions for network-related projects. Assess, analyze and synthesize network data in support of the current network infrastructure. Assess alternatives for short and long term impacts and recommend appropriate solutions.
- Analyze current network design and operational standards; identify gaps and improvements, gain team and management alignment to implement.
- Produce solutions for business units that encompass Day 0, Day 1 and Day 2 operations in addition to the technical solution, aligning with corporate/group standards, service definitions, and strategies
- Execute technical solutions hands-on where internally managed and through service providers elsewhere.
- Develop or contribute to business cases and proposals. This may include presentation to senior management.
- Provide governance oversight for troubleshooting complex network problems. This involves working closely with business units, other infrastructure teams and external vendors.
- Provide coaching and technical support to more junior members of the team
- Work closely with the IT security group to ensure compliance with IT security standards and policies
- Form collaborative relationships with peers, business units, regional technology groups, and external service partners
- Participate in Change Review Board and approve major network changes
- Occasional travel between Manulife offices as well as participation in evening conference calls, after hours escalations and weekend change tickets
- Candidate will participate in On-Call rotation a few times per year.
- Act as Level 3 and/or 4 escalation for production Incidents.
- Flexible Work Smart environment with ability to work from various office locations and from home as appropriate.
- Senior IT professional with extensive hands on experience designing, deploying and managing large complex network environments
- Minimum 10 years of progressive data network experience in a large, complex, fast paced environment; financial services and/or telecom/Internet service provider experience preferred
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience in conjunction with industry certifications (Cisco certifications preferred, including but not limited to CCIE, CCDP)
- Experience managing vendor-provided services including network outsourcing arrangements
- Demonstrated technical leadership and expert knowledge in data network design
- Strong working knowledge of network technologies, particularly Cisco Systems routing/switching equipment and 2 or more of the following Cisco ASA and VPN, Nexus, Catalyst, and WiFi; Aruba WiFi and Clearpass; F5 BigIP, Riverbed Steelhead, MobileIron, network management tools, analyzing packet captures, DNS & IPAM.
- Added value skillsets include network security (firewalls, IDS, IPS, NAC, content filtering etc). - CISSP certification an asset - and VOIP, video and/or unified communications deployment using Cisco/Avaya/Nortel; and expertise in QoS, Software Defined Networking, and Cloud-optimized networks
- Strong operations efficiency orientation (process, costing etc.) and ability to effectively manage ongoing operations within budget while identifying opportunities for ongoing efficiency, familiarity with ITIL framework
- Ability to think strategically, assess alternatives for short and long term impacts and act decisively; strong systems aptitude, demonstrated project management and planning skills; balances strategic skills with tactical execution skills; function well within a matrixed environment; can manage situations under dynamic mandates
- Clear, effective communication (written and verbal) is essential, including ability to explain technical information to non-technical audiences and create effective documentation for other teams
- Global or multi-country operations experience an asset
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.