Senior Accounting Analyst
Our client is currently seeking a Senior Accounting Analyst for a permanent opportunity located in Folsom, CA.
The Senior Accounting Analyst is responsible for monitoring GL loan systems and related balances; financial reporting including footnote disclosures and Call Report schedules; complex loan data mining; developing and completing general ledger reconciliations; and performing various accounting functions. Responsible for analyzing data and developing complex spreadsheets and reports. Assists in the month-end general ledger close process and preparation of financial statements. Monitors and performs all necessary accounting processes for the loan accounting functions including: participation loans; third party servicers; MSRs; loan sales and buy-backs; loan hedging; and researching and resolution of servicing issues. Works closely with Loan Servicing and Secondary Marketing teams.
location: Folsom, California
job type: Permanent
salary: $70,000 - 81,000 per year
work hours: 8am to 5pm
education: High School
Position may include responsibility for monitoring of the investment portfolio, including balancing, reporting and posting of all related transactions.
Researches complex ASC pronouncements, performs in-depth analysis of impact on the company and provides suggested accounting treatment and procedure modifications as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain the general ledger; prepare for and close the books at month and year-end. Assist in preparing financial statements, footnotes and internal accounting reports.
- Complete daily, monthly, and quarterly general ledger account reconciliations as assigned. Review reconciliations prepared by accountants and other business partners. Ensure process is in accordance with GAAP/ASC requirements.
- Cross train in various accounting activities throughout the department including accounts payable, fixed assets, branch operations accounting and supervisory functions.
- Research general ledger transactions; be able to understand and identify issues with transaction postings.
- Work with all levels of the organization including senior/executive management and external parties such as auditors and examiners.
- Ensure that all critical daily accounting functions are completed.
- Reconcile and/or review daily settlement activities.
- Understand and assist with loan accounting functions including: participation loans; 3rd party servicers; MSRs; loan sales and buy-backs; reconciliations and servicing issues. Understand ASC 805 (FAS 141R - fair value) and ASC 310-20 (FAS 91) accounting.
- Understand the process for posting and reconciling of ACH, plastic card and ATM transactions; be able to back-up or assist with resolving settlement and balancing issues.
- Understand investment portfolio accounting, including monitoring of existing portfolio, amortization and accretion of premiums and discounts, fair value accounting and accounting for sales and trades.
- Identify issues, determine solutions and be able to clearly communicate to management issues and resolutions.
- Complete other duties and special projects as assigned.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree (B. S.) degree preferably in accounting or finance; five to seven years or more of general corporate accounting experience with four or more years at a senior level; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Financial institution and/or auditing firm experience preferred. Loan experience and accounting knowledge required.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Ability to interpret and understand complex accounting, financial and regulatory concepts, formulate solutions and develop implementation plans.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Certified Public Accountant license required. May be waived with sufficient equivalent experience.
skills: OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must have expert level Excel skills. Intermediate data visualization software skills using a BI tool a plus.
- Superior analytical skills a plus.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of department and project teams.
- Must have strong oral and written communications skills.
- Must have strong prioritization skills and be able to multi-task.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages. Ability to apply complex concepts of finance and accounting.
- Project management skills a plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.
Qualified applicants in San Francisco with criminal histories will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.