The Software Engineer will be responsible for developing, implementing, and supporting complex enterprise applications that sustain and modernize our business operation. This is an opportunity for a skilled individual to step up and be a team leader in building our application integration infrastructure.
Working individually or on a team, this individual will perform software development, software quality assurance, and application integration functions by applying the principles and best practices of software engineering and mathematical analysis.
Typical duties of the position include analyzing, designing, and developing software systems with their specifications and performance requirements; and transferring knowledge to peers and other IT teams. You will be challenged with integrating complex business systems using modern technology like integration platforms, APIs, and mobile devices; you will work with and learn from skilled team members while having opportunities to coach and transfer knowledge to other peers; and, where necessary, you will be provided with training opportunities.
location: Overland Park, Kansas
job type: Permanent
work hours: 8am to 5pm
- Provide full life cycle support for code changes in the production environment, and develop new extensions to existing platform according to the principles and techniques of software engineering and based on functional specifications and technical designs developed by themselves or by more experienced engineers.
- Design, develop, and implement interfaces between multiple applications, databases, and middleware systems; and collaborate with other engineers to integrate hardware and software according to specifications and performance requirements.
- Conduct tests to diagnose and address application issues, and ensure applications conform to fundamental application standards and meet the requirements of the end user.
- Create and update technical documents relating to application architecture, design steps, integration processes and testing procedures for each product developed. This documentation would also cover the installation and maintenance of application software as well as guidelines and standards to follow.
- Lead software design reviews, and provide input on functional requirements and technical designs.
- Document software and application defects in the software tracking system, and report defects to other IT teams and business stakeholders.
- Show ethical and professional conduct at all times, and comply with the Company Code of Ethics and the Individual Characteristics of High Performance.
- Evaluate and recommend emerging trends, principles and best practices, and tools and techniques affecting the software industry and our business operation.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering is required
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, information system management, industrial technology, mathematics, or a related field with equivalent experience is acceptable
- Minimum of 5 years of experience designing, developing, and integrating complex enterprise applications such as ERP's, CRM's, and other key business systems.
- Experience with one or more of the following systems is preferred:
- Oracle: JD Edwards 9.1 or higher, VCP/ASCP, APCC, Demantra, or OTM
- Experience with Oracle SOA, Oracle BPEL, Oracle JDE BSSV, or Oracle JDE AIS/Orchestrator is preferred. Ability with other integration platforms will also be considered.
- Proficiency developing and testing applications in Java, C, C++ is preferred.
- Understanding of the design principles and best practices for implementing SOA-based applications.
- Proficiency developing and consuming SOAP and RESTful Web Services.
- Familiarity with testing, documenting, and deploying Web Services.
- Understanding of the XML language and JSON format.
- Familiarity developing, testing, and deploying web and mobile applications is a plus.
- Knowledge in the manufacturing and/or mining industries is preferred.
- Adeptness with Windows 7/10, VMWare, MS Office Applications.
- Strong analytical, creative, problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Effective communication skills and ability to interact ethically and professionally with others; ability to communicate effectively both verbal and written.
- Ability to apply common sense, analyze data, and interpret results, yielding varying outcomes.
- Creating custom solutions - Offer viable solutions for various systems and architectures to complex problems.
- Applying design and testing methods - Understand design and production procedures and standards to create prototypes and finished products.
- Integrating applications with existing systems - Ensure a seamless integration of new and existing systems to eliminate potential problems and maintain data structure and integrity.
- Ability to maintain concentration and attention to detail.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Detail-oriented team player who can consistently provide valuable suggestions and solutions in areas of software development, use and maintenance.
- Work closely with other team members and build teams to ensure successful production of application software.
- Ability to identify the root cause of a system issue and implement the appropriate fix.
- Ability to recommend system enhancements and improvements that will benefit the business.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.