IT Infrastructure Engineer
As one of the largest behavioral and social science research organizations in the world, our client is committed to empowering communities and institutions with innovative solutions to the most critical challenges in education, health, workforce, and international development. Our client's Information Technology (IT) organization provides technology services for clients both internal and external. IT maintains professional-grade data and hosting centers that are supported by a team of engineers monitoring the continuous operations of the network, including servers, security, and applications. Internally, IT provides a wide variety of services that include electronic mail, collaboration, networking, business-specific data base applications, and technical support for applications and web-site developers. Externally, IT delivers web hosting services with rigorous security requirements that satisfy industry standards. Our client is currently looking for a Systems Engineer for its Washington, DC office.
location: Washington, Washington, D.C.
job type: Contract
salary: $50 - 57 per hour
work hours: 9am to 5pm
- Develop and maintain standard operating procedures and other technical documentation for operational tasks.
- Provide day-to-day operational support of our IT infrastructure environment.
- Develops and maintains a working knowledge on a wide range of Enterprise applications and systems to include Active Directory, IIS, SQL, Office 365 administration, email security.
- Follow security best practices that will assist in maintaining a stable and highly secure IT environment.
- Work directly and effectively with other teams in troubleshooting problems and finding solutions.
- Utilize ticketing system ticket queue to address all server and application issues in a timely manner, recording solutions, and escalating tickets as required.
- Manage complex problems through to a successful conclusion.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related discipline and 5+ years of relevant experience in the IT industry, or a Master's degree with 3 years of relevant experience.
- Hands-on experience operating AWS-based applications (2-3 years preferred)
- Experience designing, architecting, provisioning, operating, and maintaining systems running on VMWare/VCenter environment
skills: - Strong knowledge and work experience Microsoft Azure preferred
- Strong knowledge and experience with installation, administration, troubleshooting of Windows Operating Systems and Linux (Red Hat, Suse)
- Ability to understand and analyze complex issues and information relating to database management.
- Excellent documentation and communication skills, a proactive and detail-oriented approach, a strong team-oriented attitude, and the ability to establish work priorities are required.
- Passion for the craft with a demonstrated ability to learn and understand the technology both at a high level and at a detailed level. Additional Qualifications: (not required)
- Experience with vulnerability scanning and remediation using security tools like Tenable Security Center.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.