job summary: Description:
Hadoop Administrator with Linux background
- Back-end specialist to install, configure, and maintain Linux operating system. Involves server-side operations and troubleshooting tasks that support business-critical and development activities.
- Configure user access, monitor system stability and security through deployment and everyday use.
- Extensive familiarity with Linux systems and servers and high level of risk assessment and user support.
- Install and Configure Linux Systems and servers. Develop servers and work with users to ensure that the system works reliably and quickly.
- Answer questions related to setup and installation. Set up the architecture of the system, including back-end databases and scripts for specific applications and use cases.
- Perform routine system maintenance and resolve server-side issues as they arise.
- Review error logs, reported errors and seek out solutions. Work directly with the system's source code to make necessary changes to ensure reliable performance and then deploy those changes throughout the system.
- Create system backups according to company or industry standards.
- Monitor system performance to prevent slowdowns and crashes.
- Examine daily traffic logs and reports to isolate potential issues or recurring problems within the system. Develop and deploy solutions so that the system remains stable.
- Experience (typically 5-7 years) working in an enterprise level configuration (500+ users) including supporting and managing related technologies
- Provide Technical Support and Guidance. Maintain System Security
- Maintain system security by actively identifying faults and vulnerable areas within the system's architecture.
- Extensive knowledge of viruses and other sources of system vulnerability, to proactively develop protections, particularly when deploying system-wide changes that can open up new vulnerabilities.
location: Charlotte, North Carolina
job type: Contract
salary: $50 - 55 per hour
work hours: 9am to 5pm
responsibilities: Responsibilities and Duties:
- Work on analysis and design of complex IT configurations. Provide input and recommendations on organizational support procedures, guidelines, and policies
- Participate in creating awareness within the organization of specific changes in hardware and software
- Utilize system requirements to assist design recommendations
- Oversee software and server configurations to meet the needs of the service. Provide feedback regarding compatibility, performance, and effectiveness
- Implement best practices to provide base-level system security and adhere to University guidelines for system security
- Write documentation for moderately complex configurations
- Collect and analyze service data/metrics. Use this data to help make decisions about future projects
- Assist in writing project deployment plans.
- Participate in development of RFI, RFP and RFQ documents.
- Troubleshoot assigned applications and services. Will perform end user support duties on assigned applications
- Lead root cause analysis of issues as needed
- Take responsibility of Help Desk tickets as appropriate
- Perform necessary system administration tasks
- Perform required maintenance on systems
- Provide on-call coverage within specific areas of expertise
- Works in close collaboration with the SST-AT and SST-IT workgroups as well as other ITS and non-ITS groups to deliver optimal systems and services
- Strong understanding of the Linux operating system (RedHat/CentOS preferably);
- Experience with Monitoring tools (e.g. Nagios/Checkmk, Big Brother);
- Experience writing automation scripts (e.g. Python, BASH, Perl);
- Experience evaluating new and emerging technologies and their potential applications at an enterprise level;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with technical and non-technical staff.
- Demonstrated ability to assist in system design;
- Familiarity with virtualization (i.e. VMware, KVM, Hyper-V);
- Knowledge of configuration management technologies (e.g. Puppet, Chef, or Ansible) and version control (e.g. Git);
- Knowledge of F5 or similar load balancing technologies;
- Experience with Apache or similar web servers;
- Demonstrated experience with troubleshooting skills in enterprise systems;
- Experience in securing servers and applications;
- Experience with database server administration (Postgres, MySQL);
- Linux Systems Administrator: 5 years
- Solaris: 5 years
- Python scripting for system administration including crossplatform disk usage analyzer, latency reporter, and user status reports are also mandatory. Strong troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Expertise with extensive knowledge of Linux utilities -ping, nslookup, traceroute, netstat, iptables, tcpdump, lsof, top, strace, etc., as well as experience with MySQL, OpenLDAP/389DS, Apache HTTPD are also necessary.
- Bachelor's in Information Technology or relevant area
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and related work experience.
skills: Skills and Qualifications:
- Technical expertise, specifically with the Linux operating system environment.
- Server administration - background in Linux or UNIX server setup, deployment, and maintenance
- Programming and coding - a background in coding and writing programs is vital in this role. Work directly with a system's source code and develop solutions to improve system-wide performance
- Analytical skills -Highly analytical and able to examine error logs, system performance data, and user information to ensure a high level of usability and reliability
- Information security -need to be familiar with best practices and techniques to maintain and enhance information security
- Communication skills - Work directly with IT professionals and end-users, so effective communication skills are a necessity in this role
- Problem-solving skills - while installing, configuring, and maintaining Linux systems and servers, need to employ creative and technical problem-solving skills to resolve issues or devise a new solution
- Linux/UNIX operating systems (Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian)
- Web server technologies (DNS, Apache, NGINX)
- Manage all internet applications inclusive to DNS, RADIUS, Apache, MySQL,PHP. Taking frequent back up of data, create new storage procedures and scheduled back up is one of the duties.
- Able to support and train other server administrators in the organization.
- Reviewing of all the error logs and fixing it along with providing superior customer support for Webhosting, ISP and LAN Customers on troubleshooting escalated support troubles.
- Responsible for installing the necessary procedures and security tools. He works with the Data Network Engineer and other personnel/departments to analyze hardware requirements and alternatives and make acquisition recommendations.
- Upgrade the software installed on to the server, including upgrading virus software and code upgrades.
- Proactively maintain and develop all Linux infrastructure technology to maintain a 24x7x365 uptime service
- Engineering of systems administration-related solutions for various project and operational needs
- Maintain best practices on managing systems and services across all environments
- Fault finding, analysis and of logging information for reporting of performance exceptions
- Proactively monitoring system performance and capacity planning
- Manage, coordinate, and implement software upgrades, patches, hot fixes on servers, workstations, and network hardware
- Create and modify scripts or applications to perform tasks
- Provide input on ways to improve the stability, security, efficiency, and scalability of the environment
- Collaborate with other teams and team members to develop automation strategies and deployment processes
- Linux Administrator qualifications and requirements
- Previous working experience as a Linux Administrator for (x) year(s)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or similar relevant degree
- IN depth knowledge of Linux: RedHat, CentOS, Debian, etc.
- Hands on experience with MySQL and/or MariaDB
- Familiarity with VMWare and SAN management and concepts
- Expert in Shell, Perl, and/or Python scripting
- Solid knowledge of protocols such as DNS, HTTP, LDAP, SMTP and SNMP
- Additional Linux certifications (RHCT, RHCE and LPIC) will be considered an advantage
- Strong problem solving and communication skills
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.