IBM i - Engineer III
· Provide IBM i Engineer Tier III support for 24x7x365 Client Managed Services. Support includes incident management, problem management, and change management for devices and resources monitored by Client Managed Services.
location: Madison, Wisconsin
job type: Contract
work hours: 8am to 5pm
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Supports installations, upgrades, configurations, deployments, migrations, and administration of IBM Power Systems hardware with IBM i operating system also including:
· Hardware Management Console (HMC)
· Virtual I/O Server (VIOS)
· IBM i backup and recovery; BRMS
· Physical and virtual tape library solutions
· Direct-attached and external storage.
· Understanding of IBM Power Technology and Power System Configurations
· Performs management of IBM i customers in partitioned (LPAR) environments.
· Coordinates IBM i Operating System (OS) version upgrades, PTF(s), CUME(s), and preventative maintenance to minimize risk and service disruptions. Ensures system improvements are successfully implemented and monitored to increase efficiency.
· Performs and supports system recovery.
· Provides after-hours and weekend support as needed.
· Responds and solves customer issues utilizing technology tools, procedures, and training through awareness of services offerings and SLAs.
· Performs break/fix troubleshooting, server and software updates and feature enhancements to relevant technology infrastructure; implements and troubleshoots complex environments.
· Responds and solves client issues utilizing technology tools, procedures, and training through awareness of service offerings and Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
· Understands Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) and follows predefined ITIL incident, problem and change management processes in place for each client when working to resolve client requests or outages.
· Maintains current knowledge of core service offerings and SLAs. Have deep understanding of all Client service offerings to better support client as well as expanding any service offering to current clients.
· Supports escalated issues; coordinates communications between operations staff; supports staff to resolve complex issues.
· Participates in managing client change requests and problem ticket resolution.
· Works with Sales teams and Service Delivery Managers (SDMs) to propose enhancements to client environments.
· Collects statistical information to monitor growth and reports to management.
· Acts as escalation point for Tier I and Tier II technical teams. Directs team members in incident, problem and change request resolution and guidance on projects.
· Follows change management process.
· Interacts with other support departments to provide resilient computing environments for Client clients.
· Documents environments, processes and procedures to enable support of environments by other team members.
· Provides periodic environment review and suggests enhancements of services or resiliency of environments.
· Creates, uses, and maintains technical and process documentation.
· Remains current on technical and company related literature/correspondence and regularly reviews administrative procedures.
· Coordinates service outages with Service Delivery Managers as required.
· Documents post-incident response and root cause analysis.
· Participates in client sales engagements and performs regular environment Service Delivery Reviews (SDRs).
· Sets course for repeatable processes and auditing Client processes against service descriptions.
· Provides technical leadership and acts as technical resource and mentor to team members.
· Demonstrates and actively promotes an understanding and commitment to the mission of Client through performing behaviors consistent with the organization's values.
· Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations as well as policies and procedures of Client in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behaviors.
· Supports and conducts self in a manner consistent with customer service expectations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· High School Diploma or G.E.D.
· 10 + years of experience with supporting IBM i Operating System environment:
· Supporting multiple versions of IBM i Operating System solutions (V5R4, V6R1, V7R1, V7R2, and/or V7R3)
· Understanding of job flow and application programing concepts.
· LPAR and virtualization components
· Hardware Management Console (HMC)
· Basic network understanding surrounding TCP/IP and SNA
· Backup and Recovery Media System (BRMS)
· System recovery / Library refresh / Object restores
· PTF Updates
· OS & Software upgrades
· System troubleshooting / Root cause analysis
· Remote and local device configurations
· User account setup
· System security / Security setups / Audit needs
· Operations Console (OPS Console)
· Software-based replication technologies (Mimix HA, iTera HA, Quick-EDD)
· IBM i Monitoring/Alerting Concepts (Monitoring of Messages, Jobs, System Performance/Stats, Job Queue, Output Queue, ect.)
·General knowledge in following areas:
· IBM i Access/IBM i Navigator
· Physical Tape libraries / Tape drives (IBM TS3***)
· Virtual Tape Libraries (Data Domain)
· IBM i Implementation & Migration Methods
· BRMS documented Skip-the-Release Migration
· Storwize Full System Flash Copy Manager
· Science Logic Monitoring Software
· Network switches and routers
· Power Systems virtualization (VIOS)
· Advance System Management Interface (ASMI)
· Experience working in ITIL-based incident tracking system (Service-Now).
· Understanding of network and server monitoring tools and technologies.
· Proficient use of all Microsoft Office applications.
· May consider an equivalent combination of education and experience.
· IBM Certified Systems Administrator IBM i V1 or V7R1
skills: Other Skills and Abilities:
· Strong decision-making and problem solving skills within required technology area.
· Strong business and technical awareness as it relates to department and corporate goals and objectives.
· Outstanding oral, written, and technical/business communication skills.
· Earns client, partner, and employee trust and respect through demonstrating commitment to exceed expectations.
· Breaks down ideas, problems, or opportunities into components, solve problems, and implement client requests.
· Eager to evaluate and test new manufacturer products, services, troubleshooting, installation, and configuration techniques.
· Works effectively under pressure and stressful situations.
· Stays on leading edge of technology by learning new techniques and methods through continual education.
· Evaluates, escalates, and exercises good judgment and make decisions based on limited information.
· Works as stand alone or in team environment.
· Eager to work pro-actively and to do what is expected at all times.
· Available for on-call duties that include 24x7 responses on rotating basis within team.
· Meets deadlines by prioritizing work requests based on sense of urgency.
· Strong technical and client interaction skills.
· Self-starter with excellent organizational, administrative and interpersonal skills.
· Follows through with tasks, projects, and troubleshooting with minimal supervision.
· Superb customer service skills.
· Overnight travel between Client or Client offices may be necessary (typically less than 5-10%).
Additionally, this new position is going to have several unique requirements detailed below:
- This position will be scheduled to work four days a week, 10 hours each shift, that will include Saturday and Sunday. The other two days are flexible based on the contractors preference. An example shift would be Saturday-Tuesday where they would have Wednesday-Friday as days off.
- The contractor will be required to complete the background checks listed below and attached to this email as part of the requirements that are more stringent than the standard background checks for Client that they will also need to complete.
Additional Background Checks for Client's customers will be run through HireRight using the A la Carte feature. The supplier will work with AGS and HireRight to have this piece set up once their candidate is chosen for hire and accepted the offer. AGS will email required background check information to Suppliers.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.