job summary: SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR - Role Specification
We're looking for a Mobile Development Director to lead and own the overall responsibility for the customer facing product and day-to-day production of that product, ensuring that software components are delivered on time, within budget and meeting quality specifications set out by the business.
You will be the main point of contact for allocating tech resources and working with the delivery and product teams to prioritize and deliver a defect-free consumer offering on time.
You'll undertake multiple production/development/tasks of high difficulty with minimal direct supervision.
A proven track record is expected to demonstrate strong leadership, planning and organisation, decision-making and communication skills.
location: El Segundo, California
job type: Permanent
salary: $175,000 - 195,000 per year
work hours: 9am to 6pm
The role involves planning, organizing, resourcing and managing a team of varying sizes (5 to 10 individuals) in collaboration with Technical Project Managers, Product managers, and technical leads. Functional Duties
- The primary function of the Software Development Director is to ensure that software development is and remains under control and on track at all times.
- Working with key stakeholders to deliver a high- quality product on time and to budget.
- Undertaking, planning, organizing and resourcing the product.
- Ability to seek out and assimilate information, building plans, understanding impediments and identifying solutions, actioning & flagging them accordingly.
- Development and on-going monitoring of the organisation, execution and control of all project activities both with internal and (potentially) external development teams.
- Maintain effective communications with team members, key stakeholders, senior management throughout the duration of the project, in addition to managing the team leads of sub-areas of the project.
- Develop and clearly communicate project goals and expectations to the team leads and team through frequent performance and progress feedback meetings.
- Ensure the team follows as directed by assigning work and ensuring clear communication of deadlines to team leads, and that all staff understand the task (what's to be achieved), leaving no ambiguity.
- Follow up with team leads on a regular basis monitoring progress and performance.
- Assimilate information to enable key decision-making and information dissemination to the team.
- Whilst the responsibility of project schedule lies with TPM's, it is the Development Managers responsibility to ensure that the schedule of the project/s that they are assigned to, deliver and if there are potential changes, risks or impacts that these are communicated in a timely manner.
- Compile short, concise and accurate weekly project reports for senior management
- Create and prepare Milestone documents (note: we don't do this, but its definitely something we need to do for weekly RAG). Coordinate and submit regular milestone deliverables to senior management and where applicable externals via TPM's.
- Be able to assess the 'cost and impact' when changes to the plan are made and act accordingly (in collaboration with TPM's)
- Effectively track the project and at any time be prepared to report on project/s status to senior management, and ensuring proactive, timely reporting if not on target.
- Working with any external partners to ensure timely delivery of assets / source code, and that the quality expectations are being met at all times with relevant steer being given as appropriate.
- Ensure version control is in place and used for all code development and that code is NEVER lost or stolen.
- Responsible for the effective day-to-day running of the team and maintaining a team mentality of high-performance.
- Practice team development through effective open communication, reinforcing the professional growth of the team members, and establishing clearly defined goals and program objectives.
- Responsible for the productivity and organisation of entire team, including their physical and psychological well-being.
- Manage interpersonal conflict effectively using tact and diplomacy.
- Ensure that new team members (both new employees and project transfers) are made welcome and are successfully integrated into the team.
qualifications: We're looking for a leader with the following qualifications:
- Exceptional leadership in project management, evangeliser, and enforcer of the standards and guidelines of our Development Process. ( industry best practice)
- A proven motivator and team leader, with the ability to drive teams forward while maintaining strong morale, focus and efficiency.
- An eye for detail and proven organisational skills.
- A problem solver who is relentless in the pursuit of problem resolution and fixing the underlying issue as well as the affect.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and listening skills.
- Excellent technical awareness and skills, including competent working knowledge of IOS/Android/Web and Connected device technologies.
- Recent hands on development experience is an advantage.
- An understand of the key principles of Agile and/or Lead development and how to tailor these practices for OTT app development i.e. product backlogs, Scrum, FDD, TDD, BDD, Value Stream Mapping, Root Cause Analysis
- The ability to anticipate problem areas and initiate appropriate and decisive corrective action with the support from key stakeholders.
- Able to balance technical solutions with time, cost and human factors; and to devote the necessary time to planning, directing and controlling team activities.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced and fast-changing environment.
Proven ability to track overall budget and spending to ensure control of development costs.
skills: Skills and Experience:
- Extensive, practical project management experience, managing budgets and spending with experience of controlling development costs, whilst ensuring quality is achieved and deadlines hit.
- Has held responsibility in the delivery of quality titles / projects over varied duration production cycles.
- Has managed varied size & cross disciplinary development teams.
- An awareness of client systems and streaming tools and techniques would be an advantage.
- A good knowledge and interest in OTT apps.
- Knowledge of technical restrictions and specifications for web, mobile and TV platforms.
- Experience of working with multiple stakeholders (internal and external) with different goals, objectives and aspirations.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.
Qualified applicants in San Francisco with criminal histories will be considered for employment in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.